• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Anonymous Poster

Are their any great Free C++ compilers?

13 posts in this topic

the big companies mostly use vc++. there are a couple of free compilers around, dont know if their any good.
theres djgpp that u can get from this sites code vault

Yeah, I have seen djgpp and never downloaded it because I was not to sure what it was...

There's also MING. It's the Windows native version of gcc (the free unix compiler). It's a bit of a pain to get set up though, since MS header files are copyrighted and can't just be thrown in.

I did alot of goofing around with OpenGL on it before I got VC++.

That's cool I have always wanted to get in to the graphical side of C++ programming, I had 2 years of C++ in high school but they NEVER tought us anything with graphics, or about using graphics programs in C++ like 3D studio, OpenGL, or other such programs. So I don't even know how to put that stuff in with a C++ program to make a game. But I just got some reading matterial I have to cathch up on. So does djgpp, work just like a C++ compile such as Borland, or Code Warrior? And can programs like OpenGL work with DJGPP???

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

I have been searching for a great c++ compiler that is free. I can't really afford to pay out $200 for a good compiler. Also, Does anyone have any ideal what most the big game companies use?

Thnx for your time...

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

I have found a good C++ compiler that is free it is called Bloodshed Dev-C++ compiler. It works pretty good. Now could you tell me anything about working with OpenGL?

------------------
Jason M. Goebel
JMGoebel0@aol.com

if u have to buy a compiler the college bookstores usually have the cheapest prices

I was wondering whether these free compilers support Win32 programming? Does it come with the windows.h file?

Thanks.

Best regards,
Sherman

Bloodshed Dev-C++ (which is listed along with other free compilers in our Resources section) can be found at www.bloodshed.nu/. It DOES support Win32.

I d/loaded that a few versions ago, when it didn''t support multiple files or projects, like MSVC++ does...
With the current version it gives me an error of "File names with illegal or more than 8 characters are not supported."
Thing is, it doesn''t matter what I type in it gives me that error...

Help!

Anton LaVey

Hey
Best buy and offic max carry a starting programing kits. One has Borland C++ 4.52 comes with learn C in 24 hrs and three more books on CD. Also they have a kit with Microsofts Visual C++ Learn C++ in 21 days book and 2 more on the cd. They are $30 to $50. Thats a great deal. both compile and you can distrubute you work.

Later
node_5r

Thanks for the info. DirectX should be no problem if it supports Win32 right?

Best regards,
Sherman

I searched forever on-line for a free good compiler that supported win32. Ever since I bought Windows Game Programming For Dummies I searched for about a month for a good win32 compiler. After many downloads and lots of waiting I gave up. It was a sad end. I was going to have to pay $65 for Visual C++ 6.0 pro. But then my uncle heard I needed one and sent Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition for christmas(Yep thats the one with the retail value of $1500). He got it for free from his work.