Sign in to follow this  

Texture questions

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, i have a few questions about textures. 1: is it possible to have transparency on regual surfaces that are applied to the backbuffer with copyrects, or do you have to use textures to have transparency? 2: should i use textures for animations, like swithing textures really fast to create an animated effect? 3: how do you set the texture coordinates for point sprites? 4: if i want to do an animation with textures, should i create a separate texture for each frame in the animation, or should i just have one texture with all the frame on it and just set the texture coordinates so only one frame is shown at a time.

Hi...

1: If you want to have real transparency then you have to use textures with transparency in them. It is possible to have a *sort of* transparency by using ADD as the destination operation.

2: If possible, you should use only 1 texture and switch the texture coordinates by using the texture transformation matrix.

3: You can't set the texture coordinates for points sprites. Those things aren't sprites in the way you seem to think of them. They actually are generated quads where the texture you set is entirely textured to.

4: Same question as 2 thus same response.

Metron

you would have to switch textures between two frames. But you must be aware that you cannot switch textures during the current point sprite rendering.

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.