start X on one Monitor

Started by
4 comments, last by Brian Sandberg 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi I've got two monitors connected to my Geforce FX, which has one CRT and one DVI output. The Monitor which is connected to the CRT port runs XFree without problems, while the DVI one tells me his signal would be out of sync. Both monitors are of the same type and one is connected via a DVI->CRT-Adapter. I know that if I had two CRT ports, I could use twinview to display different things on each monitor - under X, but X doesn't run on the DVI one. So what I've been thinking about is: can I start X on one monitor and have the other one remain in the system console? And can I have some ... key ... to toggle the keyboards input stream between tty7 (X Server) and (e.g.) tty0?
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Advertisement
I've got a Geforce 4600, and recently got X to use both screens (a large crt, and a smaller lcd connected with a DVI->CRT adapter), using NVidia drivers and the Xinerama extension. I even got it to accept different resolutions and refresh rates - it is a lot easier if you have identical displays. We should be able to make it work for you also.

I neved could get those twinview options to work. Instead the trick with the X config was having two device sections specifying screen number. Screen 0 in one device, and Screen 1 in the other. Then referencing the devices from two screen sections with appropriate resolutions defined, and referencing both screens from the serverlayout.

If you want more help setting it up, I'll be happy to post my config, or have a look at yours.
Yes, please post me your XF86Config File
our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Sorry about the delay. Here is my X config; it's for xorg, not xfree, but it's basically the same.

Section "ServerLayout"	Identifier	"Normal"	Screen		0 "Screen0"	Screen		1 "Screen1" rightOf "Screen0"	InputDevice	"Mouse0" "CorePointer"	InputDevice	"Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"	Option "xinerama" "on"EndSectionSection "ServerFlags"	Option		"BlankTime" "10"	Option		"OffTime" "200"EndSectionSection "Files"	RgbPath		"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"	ModulePath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"	FontPath 	"unix/:-1"EndSectionSection "Module"	Load	"extmod"	Load	"glx"	Load	"dbe"	Load	"record"	Load	"xtrap"	Load	"speedo"	Load	"freetype"	Load	"type1"	Load	"dri"	Load    "xinerama"EndSectionSection "InputDevice"	Identifier  "Keyboard0"	Driver      "keyboard"	Option "XkbRules"   "xfree86"	Option "XkbModel"   "pc105"	Option "XkbLayout"  "dk"EndSectionSection "InputDevice"	Identifier  "Mouse0"	Driver      "mouse"	Option	"Protocol"	"ImPS/2"	Option	"Device"		"/dev/psaux"	Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"EndSectionSection "Monitor"	Identifier   "Monitor0"	Option		"DPMS"EndSectionSection "Monitor"	Identifier   "Monitor1"	Option       "DPMS"EndSectionSection "Device"	Identifier	"Card0"	Driver		"nvidia"	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"	Screen 0EndSectionSection "Device"        Identifier      "Card1"        Driver          "nvidia"        BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"        Screen 1EndSectionSection "Screen"	Identifier	"Screen0"	Device		"Card0"	Monitor		"Monitor0"	DefaultDepth	24	Option		"Accel" "true"	SubSection "Display"		Depth		24		Modes "1280x1024"        EndSubSectionEndSection	Section "Screen"        Identifier      "Screen1"        Device          "Card1"        Monitor         "Monitor1"        DefaultDepth    24        Option          "Accel" "true"        SubSection "Display"                Depth           24		Modes "1600x1200"        EndSubSectionEndSection
just a question...
do i NEED DRI? you are loading it in the modules section, but nvidia's detonator readme however sais DRI is not needed. I didn't even build DRI support into the kernel, and everything works fine ( on one monitor ).
Is that the problem? Do I need DRI support?
DRI shouldn't be the problem, and can just be removed - in fact I didn't build support for it into my kernel either. Dunno why it was still in the config; must have missed it :-) Doesn't do any harm, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement