Sign in to follow this  
Asheh

2d and 3d Development

From starting computer games programing ive always been into 2d game development, Ive never really enjoyed 3d GameDev as much as 2d. has anyone ever found this? I find 2d game development much more rewarding than 3d, because to actually get somthing looking good in 3d takes alot more work, lots of algorithms to make the game look much much better. In 2d, all you need is some good art and some speedy code. But my question is, Ive taken a break from gamedev for a while, now Im wanting to write a new engine, Should I venture more into 3d? Or stick with good old 2d. (also ive noticed most popular games on the net are 2d, ie: soldat... and such!)

I agree with you about 2D being more fun to begin with. You can get something cool on the screen in a few minutes with SDL, but be struggling to initialize D3D properly at the same time.

I am moving into 3d now myself and it is definately worth it. The huge amount of features and tricks alone makes it worth while. It also has truckloads of different data structures and such that are really fun to learn to program.

Go for it, what do you have to lose?

I've been a 2D programmer for a long time now (years, man; years) and only recently have I started switching to 3D. Like just about everything else in game development, the switch has tradeoffs. All in all, though, I find 3D programming to be far more elegant and sensible than 2D, with all of 2D's hacks and kludgy ways of doing things. I still like the terrific visual detail possible with 2D, but 3D has a lot to say for it, especially as the average vid card keeps increasing and more becomes possible with 3D. Even for game formats that have traditionally been 2D only (side-scrollers, top-down tilebased, etc...) 3D offers huge benefits.

But I say, go with what makes you happy.

At first I liked 3D development more because it was closer to DOOM, QUAKE. Once I got serious about designing a real game (read polished, completed game), I got more interested in 2D. In order to many any decent 3D game, you've got to hire teams of artist and level designers, programmers , and probably pay thru the nose for a good 3D engine. I finally realized this, and started planning 2D games that would be fun for reason other than pixel-shaders, and polygon counting.

To do any 3d coding you must have a pretty large pile of support code that you don't need in 2d; its good to have matrices, 3d vectors, 2d vectors, lines, planes, frustum, axial aligned bounding boxes, model loading code, and eventually some spatial partitioning code for something like quad or octtrees.

Its always good to learn new things.

But some of the greatest games of years gone by were 2d. So basically, I third what VN said; whatever floats your boat!

If you are making games for fun ... you can go ahead with 3D.

But if you want to make a game to show some work (demos) to others and get some job or something ... then I think you should make some 2D games (a lot easier) or make simple 3D demos showing graphics complexity only (they are too cool).