Sign in to follow this  

[web] Content Management System (CMS)?

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I currently have my website finished for most parts. To manage my content I have several .php files in a special folder on the site. I just update them locally and then upload them via FTP to my server, but I need a better system. I was thinking of building a small online text editor to load the pages, edit them and save them back to disk. I don't feel much for using the database to store my files, mainly because files are much easier to backup once a week. Any ideas on this? Are their any CMS out there that do these things which I can change a bit around to use my own user authentication system? Toolmaker

As you're talking PHP, there's probably a wealth of CMS systems out there. A quick google turned up OpenSource CMS, which is a portal to popular Open Source CMS systems, allowing you to try them before you install it yourself.

Most of the CMS systems I see these days seem to be whole-systems frameworks and not particularly friendly for sticking into an existing design template. You might want to look at some of the CMS systems on that portal and guage if they'll fit your needs, other than that, it's fairly easy to roll your own.

I'm more of an ASP programmer myself, so unfortunately I can't help you with PHP specific functionality, but as it stands a CMS system is fairly easy to create. The concept revolves around you creating a generic page (say page.asp) and using either a database (ideal solution) or a flat file to provide the content for certain pages. The basic template would hold all of your style and design information as well as a section of code which handles querying your page storage and retreiving the content (obviously handle errors too). Obviously then you'd need an admin section which is secured to allow you to create a page and specify the content. The most basic of these systems could simply be a TEXTAREA element to grab a load of your text, create a new database entry which is then queried upon the page access.

You could expand your system to allow customisable menus for that page too, the contents of which are changed in the admin pages as well.

I could go into detail if you like, but I'd be talking in ASP code and not PHP, which may serve to confuse you. My web system is semi-CMS, with the content, menus and design all being separate which are brought together upon view time. I'm working on the backend, allowing me to move it into the fully CMS realm.

FreshMeat is good for finding this sort of thing too*

I think most CMS systems will be overkill for the sort of stuff you want to do. Still, you might want to check out Drupal or Xoops. MovableType isn't PHP, but it's probably closest to what you want to do. All of them come with soure so you can hack in your authentication system if you want, but I reckon you're better off using the ones they provide you with.

*before you ask, no it's not a pr0n site :)

Toolmaker, you can EASILY backup your databse. It's about a few kb I think (as I look at your site). YES, A FEW KB. You can go to phpMyAdmin or whatever you have installed, and save the structure + data.

It's not too hard to write a script in php to backup an MySQL database..

All you'd have to do is:

1. Specify the frequency of updates (daily, weekly, etc) with a time() function or other

2. Connect to the database

3. Use the backupdatabase function for mysql and specify the palce to keep it

4. Close connection

Also if you get this working, it'll be easier to manage your stuff if your site grows any more.

This topic is 4866 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.