Sign in to follow this  
d000hg

Some real world data for cars?

I'm implementing drive-train and tyre models at the moment, and they're sensitive to the forces/torques that get used. I've tried to work out some approximations from a car's maximum acceleration and mass etc, but I'm very keen to check what a typical torque is to the drive axle, and the maximum frictional force between the tyres and the ground. Also, I've read about 6 degrees gives maximum lateral force for slip angle, but what value of slip ratio for maximum longitudinal force? -1 means the wheels are locked, 0 that they are rolling freely, +1 that they are rotating 2X as fast as the speed over the ground etc...

All that stuff changes from car to car and from tire to tire. Maximum acceleration is defined by the torque curve of a car, and stuff like that. The stuff with slip ratios and slip angles are often defined by a Pacejka curve.

This is a good site to read. That site explains most of the stuff, like how to get a physically accurate drive model. That way you don't need to define "maximum acceleration" since the engine data and stuff you give your game will do it automatically.

I know that a good drive system won't need such things, but values for friction are needed in some fashion. I don't have the full engine model yet but I want a rough figure for torque - 100s of Nm, thousands etc... and maybe a few torque curves I can compare to get a generic torque curve for a simulated engine. Also the torque from 'friction' on rotating axles etc needs to be considered.

any lifestyle magazines about sportscars should have a rough power and torque curve, or at least things like the peak torque at given RPMs, and maybe gear ratios, final drive ratios, ... I remember that data about corvettes are pretty abundant on the net.