• Advertisement

The definitive guide to game writing inspiration

This topic is 1905 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
What about character inspiration? Please start a thread about character inspiration. I can't think of any plot when I don't have characters.

I had a site up called the Dictionary of Inspiration. It wasn't so much meant to inspire everyone else. It was mostly for me. It had a large list of characters, items, and weapons that gave me ideas for other characters, items, and weapons. I wouldn't mind putting it up somewhere if you want me to, but it would take a while.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
What about character inspiration? Please start a thread about character inspiration. I can't think of any plot when I don't have characters.

This guide can be used for character insperation aswell. Basically, this guide should be used for plots, settings, characters...basiaclly game writing. One I (hopefully) get enough links added, I will re-format the guide and split it into sections (Settings > Sci Fi, Characters > Fanstasy etc).

Ive changed the name of the topic a bit to reflect this. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

@Orion; If you have time, that link sounds pretty good.

I'd suggest something different...

Settings > Scifi > Characters
Settings > Scifi > Items
Settings > Scifi > Plots
Settings > Fantasy > Characters
Settings > Fantasy > Items
Settings > Fantasy > Plots

I'm gonna start working on a bare-bones version of the DoI now. ^_^

[Edited by - orionx103 on August 17, 2004 10:19:59 PM]

So if people want to look at fantasy characters, they can look at fantasy characters. If they want to look at scifi characters, they can look at scifi characters. Then, you can have a third where they can look at one in a combined list.

Quote:
Original post by orionx103
So if people want to look at fantasy characters, they can look at fantasy characters. If they want to look at scifi characters, they can look at scifi characters. Then, you can have a third where they can look at one in a combined list.

You missed my point. My point was, there isn't any such thing as a scifi character or a fantasy character. I mean look at Data from Star Trek TNG. He's an android, definitely a sci-fi character right? But he's based on the idea of pinnochio, a fantasy character. The only difference is that one works by 'magic' andone by 'technology'. And I'm sure you've encountered thequote, "Any suffciently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."? So even an android, science fiction incarnate, would be right at home in a fantasy novel with one tiny change. Or look at klingons - really what's the difference between a klingon and an orc? There is no difference. There is no such thing as a fantasy character or a science fiction character, genre only effects worldbuilding, not character or character dynamic.

I'll start with the standard disclaimer that I'm not dismissing the concept, but I will offer a disparaging view of the viability of this.

For writers or potential writers looking for help I do think these are great resources, but how useful would it be for the programmer who comes in with the phrase “Im a coder, not a writer. Please help me write a story”?

Would a person with no skill at writing be able to use these resources to create a world, characters and a backstory?

Purely hypothetical question, I'm playing devil's advocate. I can see very easily the programmer looking at these books and saying "okay, that was vaguely interesting - now what do I do?" while scratching his head in frustration.

I just thought of an example: drawing. There are many books available with the title "How to Draw [choose any noun]". If I were a programmer who decided I needed to draw some concept art, but I have no artistic ability, I may indeed go out and buy one or several of these books. I'll sit and diligently read, I'll follow what they've done, copy their examples and compare.

Then I'll sit down and try to come up with my own designs, and discover all I'm really doing is modeling the examples in the books and adding the occasional flair or change the angle here or there to give it a different look. I'm not really creating anything from scratch, I'm not realizing what's in my head - because it would take far too long to teach myself to draw the vehicles I envision.

Thoughts?

[Edited by - EricTrickster on August 18, 2004 5:47:45 PM]

• Advertisement