Sign in to follow this  
buddycopper

Copying textures

Hi, I'm confused. How do you copy a IDirect3DTexture9 to another IDirect3DTexture9? For example, I create two textures: IDirect3DTexture9 *srcText; IDirect3DTexture9 *destText; I then load a bitmap into srcText with D3DXCreateTextureFromFile. Now I want to copy the contents of srcText to destText. This is what I was trying to do: // Copy texture destText = srcText; // Release source texture srcText->Release(); I know the problem is that I'm copying pointers and not the actual data, but how would I copy the actual data? Doing *destText = *srcText; causes the texture to be blank. Thanks, Brian

I think you need to use the texture function LockRect(), to get access to the pixel data of the texture, and then use D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory() to copy that data to a surface.

So, step by step, you would do the following:

1. Use D3DXCreateTextureFromFile() to create the source texture.

2. Use D3DXCreateTexture() to create the destination texture (assuming it isn't already created).

3. Call srcText->LockRect() to get access to the pixel data.

4. Call destText->GetSurfaceLevel() to get the primary surface of the texture.

5. Use D3DXLoadSurfaceFromMemory() to copy all the data from the pixel data source to the destination surface.

6. Call destSurf->Release() to release your reference to the surface.

7. Call srcText->UnlockRect() to unlock the source texture.

It's a bit of work, but I don't know of any other way to do it. What specifically are you trying to accomplish, by the way?