Hello

Started by
7 comments, last by Tobbe 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi all I'm new here, and I'm trying to learn a few things about making games. Firstly, I made a model of a greek temple using GMAX. I tried to unwrap it with LithUnwrap, but it said .gmax files weren't supported. So is there a way to make .3ds files with GMAX? Or should I get another unwrapping program? LithUnwrap is the only I know :-S :-S Also, do you know any good free C++ tutorials? I don't have a money income so expensive books are not an option for me. Tobbe
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Tobbe
Hi all
I'm new here, and I'm trying to learn a few things about making games.
Firstly, I made a model of a greek temple using GMAX. I tried to unwrap it with LithUnwrap, but it said .gmax files weren't supported. So is there a way to make .3ds files with GMAX? Or should I get another unwrapping program? LithUnwrap is the only I know :-S :-S
Also, do you know any good free C++ tutorials? I don't have a money income so expensive books are not an option for me.
Tobbe

Thinking in C++ by Bruce Eckel is an excellent book freely available online. Google for it.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
i'm pretty sure that you just can't convert gmax files to 3DS at all. i don't think anyone has worked out the gmax file format yet so you're out of luck. it's pretty much the whole reason why gmax is free, it would be a dumb business idea to release a product that's similarly powerful to 3DS Max and allow it's models to be as easily usable. the point of gmax is that developers can write plugins for their specific games so that users can use gmax to import new models into those specific games. you presumably have to pay discreet a large chunk of money to get the libraries that will allow you to import said models.

your solution is to get a different modelling program, like Blender3D or Milkshape

-me
OK thanks for your replies.
Can someone with 3dsmax open my .gmax file and save it as .3ds then?
The models in 3DS Max are hard to load because they aren't regular models, they are procedural models (they depend on binary code from 3DS MAX and plugins in order to regenerate parts of the model). Unless MAX where to go open source, you just couldn't load files without somehow linking to MAX executables and DLLs.
Anim8or. It's free and easier to use than Blender or Milkshape but also doesn't have a lot of their features. It can import and export non-animated 3DS files however.
Yeah, GMAX is not for regular use like that. It is for developers to ship with their game, so user can mod the game more easily.

Some good alternatives are Milkshape, and Blender 3D. I prefer milkshape, myself. It has a nice UI, lots of features/plugins, and it supports tons of model formats. Blender is also very powerful. It is a little strange to get used to, but once mastered is very powerful. The only other free modeler I know of is Wings 3D, though I have never used it. I would try them all out and see which one you prefer.

I don't know of many tutorials that I would reccommend. Many of them are out of date and/or not "standard". xMcBaiNx's suggestion sounds good though.

Edit: Ah yes, forgot all about anim8or (thanks Scet). I have used it and it is decent. Worth a look at least.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Quote:Original post by Tobbe
OK thanks for your replies.
Can someone with 3dsmax open my .gmax file and save it as .3ds then?

i don't think you can even open .gmax files in 3DS max. :( you're going to have to just get a different modelling program and start over...

Quote:Original post by Michalson
The models in 3DS Max are hard to load because they aren't regular models, they are procedural models (they depend on binary code from 3DS MAX and plugins in order to regenerate parts of the model). Unless MAX where to go open source, you just couldn't load files without somehow linking to MAX executables and DLLs.

not true. you can export .max files to .3DS files and load those fine with no MAX executables and DLLs. check out wotsit.org for the .3DS file format.

-me
Thanks. Unfortunately I was unable to import my .gmax file, but I can make it again. Thanks all.
:D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement