Sign in to follow this  
Arinor

DirectInput debug problem

I have the following problem with DirectInput 8 and Visual Studio.NET. When my app stops at a breakpoint, mouse and keyboard start to react very slowly and it continues for about 10 seconds. And it repeats after each press of F5, F10, F11. Since I gonna debug my game quite a lot, it may force me to use Windows messages instead of DirectInput for now. Did anyone encounter this problem and are there any workarounds to it?

Quote:
Original post by S1CA
It could be the following:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/archive/default.asp?url=/archive/en-us/dx8_c/directx_cpp/input_tipsetc_6qic.asp

AFAIK the DX8 docs also include that topic in the "Using DirectInput"->"Programming Tips and Tools" topic (the content on MSDN is the same as what goes into the docs).

Hi Simon [smile]

Just noting that there's no need to edit the registry as the article suggests, if you've got the debug runtime installed. Just goto the DirectX control panel (Control Panel->DirectX), select the DirectInput tab, and then check the "Emulate Mouse" and "Emulate Keyboard" checkboxes at the bottom.

Hi Muhammad, that's a good point! - FWIW the DirectX 9 version of the documentation does of course mention the control panel method too.

I was assuming Arinor meant DirectX 8 SDK when saying "DirectInput 8" so posted the link for that version of the docs (maybe an incorrect assumption on my part [smile]).

It's been a few years since I've had DirectX 8 installed, so I can't remember whether that version of the DirectX control panel applet actually has the emulation options for DirectInput devices or not.

Thanks, guys.

I’m using DirectX 9 (release runtime). I haven’t yet downloaded debug runtime because it would take plenty of time with my dialup connection.

I added that value to the registry and set Exclusive and Foreground cooperative levels for the devices but it didn’t help. So I guess I’ll have to download debug runtime after all.

Quote:
Original post by Arinor
Thanks, guys.

I’m using DirectX 9 (release runtime). I haven’t yet downloaded debug runtime because it would take plenty of time with my dialup connection.

I added that value to the registry and set Exclusive and Foreground cooperative levels for the devices but it didn’t help. So I guess I’ll have to download debug runtime after all.

I know it's really boring to download the whole thing on a 56K connection, but it really really deserves it.
If you can, go somewhere with broadband and burn the thing on a CD.

You really can't do any serious development without the debug runtime. You'll be stabbing at bugs in the dark ~90% of the time without it.