ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 and Opengl 1.5

Started by
9 comments, last by Lutz 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi there, I'm trying to run opengl 1.5 on my laptop. My system spec is as follows: WIN XP PRO SERVICE PACK 1 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 Can somebody please educate me how i can upgrade my system to be able to use OPENGL 1.5? Thanks James
Advertisement
There is really no 'upgrade' per say, there are simply features in OpenGL 1.5 that weren't in the previous version, and the only way to use them is if your driver supports it along with your graphics card.

What function are you trying to do?
Author Freeworld3Dhttp://www.freeworld3d.org
No particular function per se, i just wanted all of my driver updated adequately. see, i purchase the "Opengl SuperBible 3rd Edition" and some of the samples in the last chapters don't work because i don't have support for them.

I thought it was more like directX where you get all your updates in one single download.
If you have updated drivers and they still don't work your card might not support it
Actually, Microsoft only ships their operating systems with an OpenGL 1.1 library. So that all functions beyond OpenGL 1.1 have to be supported through extensions.
I've got a similar problem with my Sony Vaio PCG-Z1XMP notebook. On
this page they say the ATI Mobility RadeOn 9000 supports VBOs, so I've installed the latest driver from the Sony website but it doesn't find the VBO extension.

Any ideas?
Quote:Original post by Lutz
I've got a similar problem with my Sony Vaio PCG-Z1XMP notebook. On
this page they say the ATI Mobility RadeOn 9000 supports VBOs, so I've installed the latest driver from the Sony website but it doesn't find the VBO extension.

Any ideas?

Thats just crap drivers. Install ATI's ones, it's generally the best way.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
On ATI's homepage they say that you have to get the vendor's drivers for notebooks.
Nevertheless, I've tried to install the latest ATI driver but it doesn't work. It said it can't find the hardware...
Quote:Original post by Lutz
On ATI's homepage they say that you have to get the vendor's drivers for notebooks.

Well thats crap. Ah well, I can't think of what else you can do then...
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
OT: ATI drivers for Mobility Chipsets

http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/ is a project to modify the ATI drivers to work with the mobility cards too.
I tried this, installed the latest drivers, and the OpenGL-Benchmark was much faster. BUT: An OpenGL-Game crashed the hole PC, even without max. hardware acceleration.
Uninstallation and restore of the old drivers is quite complicated.
If you have a backup it might be worth a try.

Teddy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement