Sign in to follow this  
JohnGalt

Stack Implementation in my VM

I was just trying to calculate fibonacci numbers on my virtual machine from another thread, and ran into some trouble. Using the recursive fibonacci algorithm I can only calculate to about 300 and my VM gives a stack overflow error. I believe I know why this is happening (my stack is not very memory efficient). How does everyone else handle this in their VM's? Here is my design: there is a system stack (for function calls) and a user stack (for arguments and other user stuff). The stack is just a character array and when I push something, I push the value, then I push the number of bytes used by that value. In the system stack I push all the variables that are used to keep track of the currently running procedure (program counter, bytecode module, procedure address, and offset for procedure's local memory). I've since thought of a better way to do it but maybe some of you other guys working on VM's could give me some ideas about your designs.

How big did you make each stack? Which one is overflowing?

On the real architecture, there is of course only one stack; auto variables local to a function get pushed onto the stack right after the input parameters. (Actually the first thing that will be pushed is likely empty space, for a return value.) Of course, I suppose I am thinking of things in very C-coloured terms. :s

The problem is you algorithm. The stack depth is O(2^n). There are several much better algorithms out there for this sequence.

karg

Quote:
Original post by Karg
The problem is you algorithm. The stack depth is O(2^n). There are several much better algorithms out there for this sequence.

karg

wow, no wonder it wasn't working! I also tried a non-recursive version and that works fine. I had no idea it used up so much stack space, but it does make sense.

My stack is 100 KB. I was trying to use fib(5000), so that would definately take up too much space to work.

Thanks for the help

i just figured out the more awsome way to implement a stack
(what CPU's and the JVM's do i think) should think about this one too:

one large block on contiguous memory
for simplifications sake, we shall have a VM with only integer
stack space.

vector<int> theStack;
DWORD stackPointer; //keeps the _INDEX_ of where we are in the stack

void VM::Call()
{
MOV(theStack[stackPointer++], FunctionsLocalVar1);
MOV(theStack[stackPointer++], FunctionsLocalVar2);