Ahh! nightmare with new DX and VC update

Started by
6 comments, last by LifeOfTamir 19 years, 8 months ago
Hey guys, I just updated to the summer DirectX release and i also downloaded Visual Studio C++ Express Beta to use. Now my programs don't compile...and i had to do this the day before i'm meant to be 'showing off' my program to my tutor. [tears] I'm getting a : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory in several places throughout...and that is because well, windows.h is not included with VC express. So in the 'VC++ Directory' settings i added the include directory for Visual Studio 6, in the include files section and in the library files section i added the libs directory for VC6 too. Both at the end of the list. This got rid of the windows.h problem but i'm now getting other errors like error C3861: 'UlongToPtr': identifier not found and error C3861: 'ULongToHandle': identifier not found Thing is these errors are in .cpp files which i didn't even write so if anybody as any advice i'd be most helpful. Thanks! Now i just wish i could get it back to what is was before never mind improve it!
"Without the 0, alot of big numbers would just sit around looking rather stupid"
Advertisement
From the (short) experience I had playing with the Express edition of Visual C++, it is not intended for use in developing anything other that .NET applications. It seems to (at least in its Beta 1 incarnation) only come with the standard C libraries and nothing else (no Win32 API, no MFC, etc...).

I suggest ordering the full Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 from Microsoft, as it is not missing these features.
You can grab the latest Platform SDK here. That should contain all the headers/libs you need.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
From the looks of it the latest platform sdk was released in feb 2003. surely i'd have them already?
"Without the 0, alot of big numbers would just sit around looking rather stupid"
Not unless you got it specifically. VC6 comes with a much older version.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
cool. Well thank you...i'm gonna have to leave overnight to download...i hope it works tomorrow otherwise i am d.e.a.d.

*crosses fingers* [depressed]
Just to say : from an industry point of view, what you did is really a bad thing (I know, this will obviously not help you :). Our main product deliverables (the software which drives a pro minilab) are still compiled using VC6. The VC7 version is ready and has been in test for nearly one year now.

Changing the compiler is something risky. You do not know what are the new compiler bugs, if your old workarounds still work, and so on...

My best advice is to continue using your old compiler for at least one day - then you'll have time to change your dev env (hey ! do not use a beta version for production code :)
Emmanuel Deloget:
Yeah i figured that peopl shouldn't use beta version for product code, but then i'm not really making commercial software :).

And surely the fact that VC6 is now longer officially supported by microsoft means that perhaps it's time to move on from VC6? My VC6 doesn't even work with the new DirectX SDK, to get it to work i'm gonna have to do some workarounds.

RenderTarget:
YES!! I just got it to work! Had to do a few other things, change a few of VC Express config files...links to few places here and a few places there. But in the end I got it to work...Thanks again.

[Edited by - LifeOfTamir on August 16, 2004 11:41:55 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement