What will I be at the end...

Started by
6 comments, last by alexmoura 19 years, 8 months ago
I am starting a MSc this year and I asked the project lead what would I be at the end of the course a programmer or a program user. He said,"I would say more of a designer with skills in developing avocation and other multimedia material through use of application packages and their associated lower-level scripting for more precise manipulation of material and effects". What does this makes me then a level designer?
Advertisement
Maybe an animator or something.

Why is this guy being so vague with you?
I thought exactly what you are saying. Anyway thanks for your answer.
Let me point out that there is a full blown course on OpenGL. That is why I asked him. He told me though that it is more of an orientation course than a full programmers course. If it is such a thing then why does is last for 100 Hours. Here is a small description of the course to hear your opinion:
"Aims: To provide a rigorous understanding of the theory and practice of modern computer graphics and its applications.

Teaching Method: Lectures and lab sessions make up the contact time. The lectures will present the relevant theory underpinning the subject and the practicals will enable students to apply the theory to practical situations

Learning Outcomes:
(1) Knowledge & Understanding (2) Discipline Skills (3) Personal Transferable Skills:
1. mastery in issues relating to modern computer graphics systems.
2. advanced ability to apply computer graphics techniques in practical situations.
3. written and oral presentation skills, also the ability to organise workloads and to choose appropriate solutions to problems.

Outline Syllabus:
Introduction, motivation and the basic principles of computer graphics
Use of OpenGL in display environments
Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs)
Graphics primitives and their implementation
Lighting and colour models; Illumination and shading algorithms
Scene creation and geometric transformations for 3D viewing
Application of computer graphics in scientific visualisation, medical imaging, modelling and animation."

From what its saying I would guess that this course is more going to show you how those things work and let you figure out how to use that knowledge. For instance it will show you how to code using OpenGL but also will teach you how to expand on that. So I think what this course is trying to do is show you how to develop/design 3D graphics engines.

I could be completely off the mark but I thought I'd put my 2 cents in.
--Ter'Lenth
Can you get a straight answer out of the guy, without all the doublespeak? He could easily be saying, "When you get out of here, you'll know how to use MS Paint to draw stickmen." Seems to be a lot of fuzziness going on in that buzzword-filled description.
What's a MSc?
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Masters, you know, just before Ph. D
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
Sounds a lot like a Flash animator to me :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement