Sign in to follow this  
poly-gone

Calling SAFE_RELEASE(m_pd3dDevice) causes an access violation

This is really strange and I've never had this problem, but calling SAFE_RELEASE(m_pd3dDevice) causes an access violation. Could anybody point out why this is happening. Thanks.

You've most likely trashed the m_pd3dDevice pointer, or its been 'Release'd more times than its been 'AddRef'ed.

Guest Anonymous Poster
And what happend to debugging, putting break point and inspecting m_pd3dDevice variable.

Quote:
Original post by jonnii
are you trying to delete from a different dll or something?

This should never be a problem, because you don't actually delete yourself. Release() does, internally. So it doesn't make a difference, AFAIK, as to where you're calling from.

I believe the call to m_pd3dDevice->Release() returns the number of references that the device still has. You can check by doing something like this:

DWORD Result = m_pd3dDevice->Release();

The result should be zero when you are releasing the device.

Quote:
Original post by _Phalanx_
what about

if(m_pD3DDevice)
m_pD3DDevice->Release();

wouldnt that do the same thing? try it

This is the SAFE_RELEASE macro:

#define SAFE_RELEASE(p){if(p)p->Release();p=0;}

I guess I should've explained better :) The device is created properly and it even renders the scene. But during the cleanup phase, calling SAFE_RELEASE(...) causes an access violation. The strange thing is that when I run the app through visual studio, it runs fine and exits fine, but when I "directly" run the app, it gives the access violation on exit.

The whole "thing" is encapsulated in a dll so I was wondering if that would affect things, doesn't make sense, yet...

Anyway, calling SAFE_RELEASE(...) when the device hasn't been created shouldn't give any problems since m_pd3dDevice would be NULL and the macro would simply ignore the call.

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it. Any more ideas?

Hmm..

just make sure you haven't released device earlier. Check if you haven't somewhere assigned pointer to d3d device into another variable (than m_pd3dDevice) and used SAFE_RELEASE onto that variable.

Thanks for replying but I already got the problem solved. A string encapsulation class that I wrote had some bugs in it that were causing a lot of weird problems, including this one (don't know exactly how). I re-wrote that class and now everything seems to be fine. Thanks for all your inputs guys.