Sign in to follow this  

Does support for notebooks suck?

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

:) I intend to buy a new expensive notebook with the most powerful graphics chipset available I could buy in my area (probably Mobile Radeon 9700). I want to use it for graphics programming and once in a while to try out a game. It seems though that there is virtually no support for these mobile chipsets. I've just checked the latest drivers from two large manufacturers and they are more than 8 months old! So does this mean that I'll get stuck with an expensive hardware with no software? Will I be able to upgrade to a new Windows someday (Longhorn) and have hardware acceleration, etc?

as far as i know: yes. and it blows, because the drivers im stuck with REALLY need updating.

but maybe there are enlightnened people out there whe would mind to tell us how to obtain new ati drivers without writing them yourself. i havnt figured i out in any case, and neither has google.

i really cant believe its impossible to create a generic driver, but meh.

I have a notebook with an NVidia card, and the same drivers that work for desktops work for it too. There's just a generic GeForce driver.

I intended to buy a notebook featuring ATI card but in that case I might just go for NVIDIA again. It seems that ATI are not as good at drivers as they should be.

:) a little bit off topic: do you have any idea why graphics drivers are so buggy and need constant updating and specific tuning for some engines?

BTW: what about linux and opengl?

[Edited by - NamelessTwo on August 17, 2004 9:05:10 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Eelco
as far as i know: yes. and it blows, because the drivers im stuck with REALLY need updating.

but maybe there are enlightnened people out there whe would mind to tell us how to obtain new ati drivers without writing them yourself. i havnt figured i out in any case, and neither has google.

i really cant believe its impossible to create a generic driver, but meh.

have you tried out the Catalyst drivers for desktops? don't they really work?

I recently bought a notebook with a Mobility Radeon 9700. Desktop Catalyst's refused to install but after a little searching I found something called Omega Drivers which apparently supports ATi's Mobility chipset.

These drivers seem quite optimized and up to date and they have been perfectly stable during the month I've been using them.

Google for "omega drivers" to find them.

Because of ATI's generally lacking driver support, I have convinced my company to work with only nVidia graphics hardware. Its nice to run the same drivers on all systems, including laptops.

We just purchased an Alienware laptop with the FxGo5700 and its working nicely for the first 4 hours. It completed 3DMark03 witha 3094 score and was able to copy over a few gigs of files and run our software demos so far... (nothing too intense, the biggest thing being shadow volumes) I don't think we get a developer's alienware laptop for another few months though...

I just wish the places offering AMD64 laptop machines would offer an nVidia card on them....

Quote:
Original post by Tope
I recently bought a notebook with a Mobility Radeon 9700. Desktop Catalyst's refused to install but after a little searching I found something called Omega Drivers which apparently supports ATi's Mobility chipset.

These drivers seem quite optimized and up to date and they have been perfectly stable during the month I've been using them.

Google for "omega drivers" to find them.

that sounds good, im going to try that. desktop drivers sound like a good way to whack your system to me.

ratings for you.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by jm_hewitt
Because of ATI's generally lacking driver support, I have convinced my company to work with only nVidia graphics hardware. Its nice to run the same drivers on all systems, including laptops.

We just purchased an Alienware laptop with the FxGo5700 and its working nicely for the first 4 hours. It completed 3DMark03 witha 3094 score and was able to copy over a few gigs of files and run our software demos so far... (nothing too intense, the biggest thing being shadow volumes) I don't think we get a developer's alienware laptop for another few months though...

I just wish the places offering AMD64 laptop machines would offer an nVidia card on them....

How does this FxGo5700 perform compared to the ATI mobility cards 9700 and 9600?

BTW I remember to have installed Omega Drivers for NVIDIA, they were hacked unofficial NVIDIA drivers... probably these are the same thing.

Guest Anonymous Poster
According to ARI, it's up to the Notebook manufacturer to supply and update the drivers for the graphics card.

I seem to remember that on Dell's gaming notebook, the drivers were ramped up significantly, and performed superbly.

The Omega Drivers are supposed to be top notch and are updated regularly, but are of course not supported by your support dept.

But if you want specific drivers, visit the suppliers/manufacturers web site for support.

I'm waiting for my AMD3400+ notebook with 1Gb of memory, and a 17" WXGA+ (wide)screen with an Radeon Mobile 9700 (128Mb). It comes on Thursday.

lmatt69.

I just recently purchased the Dell Inspiron XPS. It ROCKS! The 9700 is supported best through the Omega Drivers. www.omegadrivers.net

I have had no problems with the Omega Drivers and my laptop rocks for games. Does well on Halo with all features turned on. Also had great luck with Doom 3 and Call of Duty. And of course RTS games and Everquest have no problems.

I'm really happy with the laptop as I bought it when it was on sale through Dell so I only paid $2600 for 3.4 Ghz, 1 G Ram, 60 G Drive (7200 RPM), etc.

Go for it. You'll love it (p.s. Battery life for gaming laptops suck, so carry around the plug!)

I don't know how the ATI stacks up against the go5700. We just got this laptop yesterday and only have older nVidia Go5200s to go against. The laptop itself looks and feels much better than the Dells we've been buying at a higher price point. We have not purchased Dell's game laptops, mainly purchasing "Desktop replacement" laptops from Dell with whatever nVidia card we can get in there.

The only thing abou it, I think it took over a month to get this alienware laptop. Our Admin didn't aggresivley hassle them asking where our notebook is, he just checked the status page every few days.... I would have been on the phone screaming "where is my new toy?" after the first two weeks if it was my personal toy....

Guest Anonymous Poster
It seems that notebooks for 3D graphics are not waste of money after all, am I right?

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
It seems that notebooks for 3D graphics are not waste of money after all, am I right?

Well, they used to be, but times change [smile].
Linux support still isn't that good, though.

A decent notebook will take you far. You don't have to spend a lot of money, either.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 600m. Intel M processor and a Mobility Radeon 9000 with 30 GB hard drive. I chose an upgraded 64 MB Radeon, not the standard 32 MB and I downgraded to 30 GB hard drive from 40 (to save a little money). With rebates, the whole rig cost only like $1200.

I've had few problems running 3D games. Deus Ex, GTA3, and Doom 3 all work fine.

And the Omega Drivers work fine on the laptop.

-Gauvir_Mucca

I use a Dell Inspiron 8500 with an nvidia 4200 go to develop my linux/opengl project. I've found that, after a little weirdness to get x configured (I found some very helpful forums for that), it has been really easy. The nvidia linux drivers are great, and they haven't given me any trouble at all. I don't have any direct experience with ATI cards in linux, but if I remember what I've heard correctly, if you want really good hardware acceleration in linux, you pretty much should go nvidia. Perhaps someone with more ATI experience could give more info about ATI cards in linux. All that to say, my laptop, nvidia card, linux, and opengl work great together.

8 months ago I bought my current laptop, which has a 128MB Radeon 9600 Pro. I had no problems until I bought City of Heroes; it was crashing frequently. My vendor's drivers did nothing but then I downloaded the Omega drivers, which are created for ATI cards but aren't actually made by ATI. Anyway they work very well and City of Heroes plays very well, as does Doom 3. Windows Media Player no longer works (crashes) but Media Player Classic does work.

So it's a bit of a pain but I do have a great graphics card. But strongly consider an NVidia card; their drivers are much better.

Unfortunately the new ATI mobile stuff is way buggy. I've had a lot of luck using the old ATI 9000/9200 mobility chip. Unfortunately it only fully supports dx8.1. The omega drivers are great.

~Wave

I'm glad to hear the recommendation of the omega drivers. I have an Ionix laptop 2.8Ghz with a Radeon Mobility 9000 graphics card. I bought it direct from Multivision here in the UK, but the firm has gone toes up. It's fine with the drivers that came with it (but the driver date is 25/07/2002 and the version is 6.13.10.6143 as per the control panel).

I need to try NV occlusion query which does not work with the drivers I have, so I'll give those omega drivers a go right now. Here's hoping...

Martin.

Hi,

I have an inspiron 8600 with a GF FX5605 go in it. I popped along to www.laptopvideo2go.com (which is the equivelant to the omega site for nvidia cards) and got the latest(ish) 61.77 drivers to run doom3, and the game runs surprisingly well.

Laptop harddisks in general don't seem to be as quick, and thats my only gripe - loading takes a little longer, and you can occasionally get pauses in gameplay, but other than that, I've been really impressed by my laptop.

I did have an Alienware laptop once, but I sent it back as lots of things didn't work as expected (the lcd wouldn't shut off when you closed the lid, and if it did, it wouldn't come back on), plus the keyboard was damaged. I've heard lots of good things about them since though, and there are XP fixes for the problems I had.

T

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.