Does support for notebooks suck?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tessellator 19 years, 8 months ago
According to ARI, it's up to the Notebook manufacturer to supply and update the drivers for the graphics card.

I seem to remember that on Dell's gaming notebook, the drivers were ramped up significantly, and performed superbly.

The Omega Drivers are supposed to be top notch and are updated regularly, but are of course not supported by your support dept.

But if you want specific drivers, visit the suppliers/manufacturers web site for support.

I'm waiting for my AMD3400+ notebook with 1Gb of memory, and a 17" WXGA+ (wide)screen with an Radeon Mobile 9700 (128Mb). It comes on Thursday.

lmatt69.
Advertisement
Not ARI...sorry, ATI.
I just recently purchased the Dell Inspiron XPS. It ROCKS! The 9700 is supported best through the Omega Drivers. www.omegadrivers.net

I have had no problems with the Omega Drivers and my laptop rocks for games. Does well on Halo with all features turned on. Also had great luck with Doom 3 and Call of Duty. And of course RTS games and Everquest have no problems.

I'm really happy with the laptop as I bought it when it was on sale through Dell so I only paid $2600 for 3.4 Ghz, 1 G Ram, 60 G Drive (7200 RPM), etc.

Go for it. You'll love it (p.s. Battery life for gaming laptops suck, so carry around the plug!)
I don't know how the ATI stacks up against the go5700. We just got this laptop yesterday and only have older nVidia Go5200s to go against. The laptop itself looks and feels much better than the Dells we've been buying at a higher price point. We have not purchased Dell's game laptops, mainly purchasing "Desktop replacement" laptops from Dell with whatever nVidia card we can get in there.

The only thing abou it, I think it took over a month to get this alienware laptop. Our Admin didn't aggresivley hassle them asking where our notebook is, he just checked the status page every few days.... I would have been on the phone screaming "where is my new toy?" after the first two weeks if it was my personal toy....
What aboot leenoogz?
It seems that notebooks for 3D graphics are not waste of money after all, am I right?
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
It seems that notebooks for 3D graphics are not waste of money after all, am I right?

Well, they used to be, but times change [smile].
Linux support still isn't that good, though.

A decent notebook will take you far. You don't have to spend a lot of money, either.

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 600m. Intel M processor and a Mobility Radeon 9000 with 30 GB hard drive. I chose an upgraded 64 MB Radeon, not the standard 32 MB and I downgraded to 30 GB hard drive from 40 (to save a little money). With rebates, the whole rig cost only like $1200.

I've had few problems running 3D games. Deus Ex, GTA3, and Doom 3 all work fine.

And the Omega Drivers work fine on the laptop.

-Gauvir_Mucca
I use a Dell Inspiron 8500 with an nvidia 4200 go to develop my linux/opengl project. I've found that, after a little weirdness to get x configured (I found some very helpful forums for that), it has been really easy. The nvidia linux drivers are great, and they haven't given me any trouble at all. I don't have any direct experience with ATI cards in linux, but if I remember what I've heard correctly, if you want really good hardware acceleration in linux, you pretty much should go nvidia. Perhaps someone with more ATI experience could give more info about ATI cards in linux. All that to say, my laptop, nvidia card, linux, and opengl work great together.
I should have mentioned that the forums I found so helpful were:
nvnews.net linux and nvidia forum
Dell linux forum

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement