Does support for notebooks suck?

Started by
22 comments, last by Tessellator 19 years, 7 months ago
:) I intend to buy a new expensive notebook with the most powerful graphics chipset available I could buy in my area (probably Mobile Radeon 9700). I want to use it for graphics programming and once in a while to try out a game. It seems though that there is virtually no support for these mobile chipsets. I've just checked the latest drivers from two large manufacturers and they are more than 8 months old! So does this mean that I'll get stuck with an expensive hardware with no software? Will I be able to upgrade to a new Windows someday (Longhorn) and have hardware acceleration, etc?
Another nameless person in the virtual space...
Advertisement
as far as i know: yes. and it blows, because the drivers im stuck with REALLY need updating.

but maybe there are enlightnened people out there whe would mind to tell us how to obtain new ati drivers without writing them yourself. i havnt figured i out in any case, and neither has google.

i really cant believe its impossible to create a generic driver, but meh.
I have a notebook with an NVidia card, and the same drivers that work for desktops work for it too. There's just a generic GeForce driver.
I intended to buy a notebook featuring ATI card but in that case I might just go for NVIDIA again. It seems that ATI are not as good at drivers as they should be.

:) a little bit off topic: do you have any idea why graphics drivers are so buggy and need constant updating and specific tuning for some engines?

BTW: what about linux and opengl?

[Edited by - NamelessTwo on August 17, 2004 9:05:10 AM]
Quote:Original post by Eelco
as far as i know: yes. and it blows, because the drivers im stuck with REALLY need updating.

but maybe there are enlightnened people out there whe would mind to tell us how to obtain new ati drivers without writing them yourself. i havnt figured i out in any case, and neither has google.

i really cant believe its impossible to create a generic driver, but meh.

have you tried out the Catalyst drivers for desktops? don't they really work?
I recently bought a notebook with a Mobility Radeon 9700. Desktop Catalyst's refused to install but after a little searching I found something called Omega Drivers which apparently supports ATi's Mobility chipset.

These drivers seem quite optimized and up to date and they have been perfectly stable during the month I've been using them.

Google for "omega drivers" to find them.
Because of ATI's generally lacking driver support, I have convinced my company to work with only nVidia graphics hardware. Its nice to run the same drivers on all systems, including laptops.

We just purchased an Alienware laptop with the FxGo5700 and its working nicely for the first 4 hours. It completed 3DMark03 witha 3094 score and was able to copy over a few gigs of files and run our software demos so far... (nothing too intense, the biggest thing being shadow volumes) I don't think we get a developer's alienware laptop for another few months though...

I just wish the places offering AMD64 laptop machines would offer an nVidia card on them....
Quote:Original post by Tope
I recently bought a notebook with a Mobility Radeon 9700. Desktop Catalyst's refused to install but after a little searching I found something called Omega Drivers which apparently supports ATi's Mobility chipset.

These drivers seem quite optimized and up to date and they have been perfectly stable during the month I've been using them.

Google for "omega drivers" to find them.

that sounds good, im going to try that. desktop drivers sound like a good way to whack your system to me.

ratings for you.
Quote:Original post by jm_hewitt
Because of ATI's generally lacking driver support, I have convinced my company to work with only nVidia graphics hardware. Its nice to run the same drivers on all systems, including laptops.

We just purchased an Alienware laptop with the FxGo5700 and its working nicely for the first 4 hours. It completed 3DMark03 witha 3094 score and was able to copy over a few gigs of files and run our software demos so far... (nothing too intense, the biggest thing being shadow volumes) I don't think we get a developer's alienware laptop for another few months though...

I just wish the places offering AMD64 laptop machines would offer an nVidia card on them....

How does this FxGo5700 perform compared to the ATI mobility cards 9700 and 9600?

BTW I remember to have installed Omega Drivers for NVIDIA, they were hacked unofficial NVIDIA drivers... probably these are the same thing.
yes these omega drivers do indeed rock. thanks again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement