Memorization

Started by
12 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 8 months ago
Anybody else have trouble memorizing math formulas and terminology? I don't have any trouble at all doing math or setting up problems. In fact, it doesn't really feel like I'm doing much thinking when I work to solve the problem. Though, far too often I get stuck with a problem, because I cannot remember the formula or other things like conversions or integrations of trigonometry functions. I don't get why this is. In classes that are memory intensive, I don't have to take notes. I can just read the chapter once or twice and retain the information. When I read math texts, I remember the methods but not the formulas and tables. Come to think of it, I have a great deal of problems remembering phone numbers. I can't even remember my own cell phone number. Anybody have a good way to get better at memorizing these types of things?
Advertisement
If your memory is really bad maybe you check your heart rythm
it's possible your heart beats too slow (<60 beats/sec)
Well, this isn't everything. I guess you could say that it is more of a problem with remembering things I can't form connections with like numbers, formulas, and tables. My memory is great besides those things.
Here is a good example:

I cannot remember a series of numbers by looking at them or reading them, but I can remember them by remembering the pattern I press on a keypad.
The methods of memorising things and indeed of thinking change a lot between different people. Some people think visually, some actively and some people don't seem to think at all. :)

If you're good with the actual methods perhaps you could try an apporach along those lines. For example differentiating trig functions. Instead of trying to remember them visualise the function, then differentiate it in your head, you should now have another function. What does it look like?

That's how I learnt the trig formulas, unfortunately it doesn't work for the more complex ones, but it helps with educated guesses.

As for the heartbeat idea, what's the idea in that? Is it that too low and there's not enough oxygen getting to the brain? I'd imagine that that would have more to do with general fitness. I know my rest heartbeat is about 63, 64 usually. That's lying in bed. It's about 75 at the moment. I'll have to start recording my rest beat. I haven't been running for the past couple of months, I wonder if that makes a difference.

Sorry for the rambling sidetrack. One question:
What sort of things are you having trouble remembering, other than trig definitions? In maths there's very little to be learnt, just understood.
Quote:Original post by LogicalError
If your memory is really bad maybe you check your heart rythm
it's possible your heart beats too slow (<60 beats/sec)

Faster than AC current is too slow???
"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley
When you need to remember a formula, always try to understand the meaning behind it: a geometrical interpretation, the method used to reach it, etc...

Over time, your brain will be used to that meaning enough that you'll be able to skip it and go from question to answer directly.

For instance, the classic trigonometry formula:

cos a-b = cos a cos b + sin a sin b

Trying to remember this formula turns out to be rather awkward. However, if you remember the method that allowed you to reach it, along with the general shape, you can find it easily.

If you consider two vectors on the trigonometrical circle, at angles a and b from the horizontal. Their coordinates are (cos a, sin a) and (cos b, sin b) respectively.

Their dot product is cos a cos b + sin a sin b (you can remember this easily). But their dot product also is their lengths times the cosine of the angle between them, which is 1 * 1 * cos a-b. Hence the equality.

By associating this simple mental image with the formula, you can remember it.
Yeah, what are you talking about?!

Anyway, I was never hot on memorising forulae but I used to just derive them all in the exams from 1st principles and use that. Worth a try if the methods are easy to you?
i can't remember stuff, and i have a very low heart beat, i need to be more fat
Why don't alcoholics make good calculus teachers?Because they don't know their limits!Oh come on, Newton wasn't THAT smart...
i have troubles memorizing names but i can remember that,say....
e=2.7182818285 (but i just checked with calculator to be sure)
or
pi=3.1415926
But i used to derive simple things such as solution of quadratic equation instead of remembering.
x2+px+q=0
x2+px+0.25p2+q-0.25p2=0
from there i see that
x=sqrt(0.25p2-q)-0.5p

and if it's
ax2+bx+c=0
divide both sides by a and p=b/a , q=c/a ......

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement