• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LaMKa

OpenGL accumulation buffer and scene antialiasing

This topic is 5148 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello. i am using accumulation buffer for scene antialiasing as described in opengl red book. (drawing in cycles from a bit different points of view and accumulating final image in acc buffer) but i got a really terrible performance ... it is about 100x slower than it should be. i suppose the mistake is in opening the window, i write my demo based on some 3rd od 4th Nehe lesson, and there is no acc buffer initiated. But i dont know how to do it, i tried to change the numbers there (16bit acc?, but what about bits ignored) but it just did not change. could someone please point me on some tutorial where is this solved? thanks a lot. sorry for my bad english. LaMKa richard.zika@seznam.cz

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
bottomline is don't use the accumulation buffer, no cards have accelerated support for it. Instead use render-to-texture and blend several frames together that way.

slightly wrong, the 9500 and up from ATI has an accum buffer in hardware and I'm pretty sure the GFFX and GF6 series do as well.

However, it is still very slow as it has to do a complete copy operation on a framebuffer*64bit sized set of data, which kills the frame rate

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!