• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ade-the-heat

OpenGL opengl32.lib, opengl32.dll questions

This topic is 5153 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Now I know that these files come with windows and are already there. So I have a question (related to the other questions I've been asking regard dlls): 1. If a user downloads the latest driver for his graphics card will that also include the latest opengl32.lib and opengl32.dll files to work with it? or will he have to download those separately from the opengl site ?

Advertisement
The driver does not come with new versions of those files. To update them you would have to download new ones separately, but there are no newer ones. The "latest" ones are from, like, 10 years ago. Check the Forum FAQ on how to go around this.

Definitely read Dave's article on the subject. It'll give you a better understanding of the way OpenGL works in Windows.

An extension loading lib like GLee will effectively solve your problem (see the Forum FAQ for similar libraries).

BTW, the user doesn't need opengl32.lib; it's a static library, so it's only used by the compiler.

>>1. If a user downloads the latest driver for his graphics card will that also include the latest opengl32.lib and opengl32.dll files to work with it?
or will he have to download those separately from the opengl site ?<<

yes but they not called opengl32.dll eg for my nvidia card its called nvoglnt.dll
(edit) i mean yes the driver comes with the latest opengl stuff not yes to they have to download the latest version of opengl32.dll.
with nvidia cards (on winNT/XP/2000) nvoglnt.dll does the hardware opengl rendering

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!