Using DirectPlay for MMORPG

Started by
3 comments, last by EIShadowDragon 19 years, 8 months ago
I am about to start integrating networking into my online RPG. Question: Is DirectPlay a good choice for this or should I go with WinSock programming? I heard that DirectPlay used to limit the amount of connections allowed to the server but does this limitation still exist in Directx 9? Thanks!
Advertisement
WinSock programming, or another wrapper for it. Wrappers like RakNet, HawkNL, ENet.

DirectPlay is deprecated meaning Microsoft has stopped developing it and recommends not to use it. The new library called XNA will have a new API for networking, but for now just follow the above advice.
DirectPlay doesn't scale well (at all). And if I remember well, yes there's a hard limit on the number of connection you can have.

Your best bet is to follow Pipo deClown advice and look into the libs he proposed or do your own winsock implementation.
Agreed, TCP for file transfers, UDP for the game itself since it scales best. The mentioned libraries all were pretty decent if you don't want to do it yourself, I found especially HawkNL really decent
---Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift and that's why it's called the present.
Quote:Original post by strahan
I am about to start integrating networking into my online RPG.

Question: Is DirectPlay a good choice for this or should I go with WinSock programming?

I heard that DirectPlay used to limit the amount of connections allowed to the server but does this limitation still exist in Directx 9?

Thanks!

Winsock is the best for an MMORPG albeit it's harder to learn/use.

If it's non-MMORPG related you can probably get away using DirectPlay but I suggest Winsock anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement