the best choice...

Started by
15 comments, last by 23yrold3yrold 19 years, 8 months ago
Quote:
But sounds like he's made up his mind anyway ...

Not entirely. If textured triangles are supported by the library and the drawback in speed ain't too great, I will certainly consider that option. I've some knowledge in Allegro, and it would be stupid to learn other libraries (which takes lots of time and testing) when I have it all in a complete package.

Is there a signifant drawback using Allegro's routiens than OpenGL? I guess I won't be doing so extremely advanced stuff afterall...
Do you know any projects I could look at using Allegro's polygon rendering?

Alternative configuration:

Sound/Music - FMOD
Network - Raknet
Graphics/Input/Timers/config/.dat/ - Allegro
Truetype fonts - AllegroFont

I kinda like that =)
Advertisement
Aaagh... forgot to login. Above post was mine (as you probably already guessed).

One thing that is important is the fact that the Allegro community is indeed big and very helpful. I haven't found an equivalent such as Allegro.cc anywhere concerning SDL. So...
- daeron
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Is there a signifant drawback using Allegro's routiens than OpenGL? I guess I won't be doing so extremely advanced stuff afterall...
Do you know any projects I could look at using Allegro's polygon rendering?

Well, there's this project, which was impressive when I played it, but the link seems broken now. [sad] Screenshots are still there though ...

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

If you're going to be using OpenGL, you might want to consider using GLFW, which is a free, open source, portable framework for OpenGL application development.

Basically, it handles operating system specific tasks, such as opening an OpenGL window and reading keyboard, mouse and joystick input in Windows, Unix, Mac OS X, AmigaOS and/or DOS.
http://rpgdx.net/showgame.php?project_id=235

for vampira
Quote:Original post by 23yrold3yrold
Hardware via OpenGL, software on its own. The OP doesn't sound like he needs a lot of power, so Allegro's 3D may be enough. I've seen some pretty impressive stuff done with it (nothing like what can be done with OpenGL though, of course [smile]).

But sounds like he's made up his mind anyway ...

Why not add AllegroGL into the mix?
Why add another lib just for textured triangles? Allegro does it, and if it's fast enough, his problem is solved.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement