Do I have to have Win XP Pro to...

Started by
8 comments, last by vovansim 19 years, 8 months ago
Create ASP .NET applications in MS VC Studio .NET? If I do not could someone tell me how to? I am looking in to bying a new portable computer and I need to know what to buy.
Advertisement
You don't have to have Windows XP Pro in order to create .NET enabled applications. However, you will need an operating system that supports the installation of the .NET Framework.

Quoting the Microsoft site:

Quote:
System Requirements
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 requires Service Pack 6a.

Important: Make sure you have the latest service pack and critical updates for the version of Windows that you are running. To find recent security updates, visit Windows Update.

You must also be running Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01 or later for all installations of the .NET Framework. Install Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1.

Edit: Here's the link in case you need it. .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package

Hope that helps,

-hellz
Don't I need to have IIS? aswell?
Hmm, it seems that perhaps you can't use Windows 98/NT, although I might be wrong. Check this out, for a comprehensive list as to what the ASP.NET platform requirements are.

Hope that helps,

-hellz
sorry I got win XP Home
Hi,

Quote:Original post by kappa
Don't I need to have IIS? aswell?

Well, you certainly don't need it to *create* an ASP.NET application - hell, all you technically need is a text editor, so notepad alone would do. However, IIS would be nice if you want to test your application. Remember though, IIS is just a server program. Any old server that supports ASP would do. For instance, you can even get it running on Apache. The google search for asp.net apache immediately gave a tutorial on how to get ASP.NET running on Apache:

http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/cassini_apache_101.asp

So Google is your friend. [smile]

Vovan
Vovan
To develop ASP.NET applications, you need Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro, or Windows 2003 Server. You need to also have at least IIS 5.0 installed. IIS can't be installed on Windows XP Home.

I've learned this through experience, as I develop and deploy ASP.NET applications.

Installing Visual Studio .NET or 2003 will give you all that you need to develop ASP.NET applications. Alternately, you could get the free .NET development package from Microsoft, which provides you with a free compiler. You'll have to use a text editor and the command line, though. There won't be any of that fancy visual development stuff, like with Visual Studio.

If you're familiar with C or C++, I'd highly recommend that you use C# as your development language. There are a number good books on the subject and tutorials are no doubt available on the Internet.
One more tip: install IIS *before* you install the .NET Framework or Visual Studio. Otherwise, the .NET Framework won't register the ASP.NET stuff with IIS, and you'll have to run the aspnet_regiis utility to get it to register ASP.NET.
one more thing, I tried Cassini and followed the tuturial and when starting cassini I get an error message that said that it failed to start listening on 8080 because of possible conflict of another webserver listening on the same port, why?
Hi,

Quote:Original post by kappa
one more thing, I tried Cassini and followed the tuturial and when starting cassini I get an error message that said that it failed to start listening on 8080 because of possible conflict of another webserver listening on the same port, why?

That's a socket error, where the port in question, 8080, is already being listened on, or is occupied by, another server. Are you sure you are not running any other web servers at the same time? For instance, if you have IIS installed and running, or Tomcat, and then try to start Cassini, then you would get the above error.

Vovan
Vovan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement