Sign in to follow this  

MFC or WIN32 API

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

You could go for WTL (Windows Template Library), which was created by Microsoft as a thin OO wrapper over the Win32 API. It's similar to MFC in some respects, but I prefer it as it;s not got the bloat and doesn't force you into the Document/View paradigm.

If you want to use WTL, then have a look at CodeProject, who have a wealth of tutorials and example code. GameDev has also run a WTL mini-series here.

Guest Anonymous Poster
GTK+ all the way! Use Glade to design your windows and just add your own code to the framework it generates for you.

I've heard that QT is both easy and powerful, but unfortunately you can only use it to write non-commercial software unless you buy a license...

wxWidgets is supposed to be powerful as well, but they say it has a steep learning curve.

GTK+, QT and wxWidgets have the added benefit of running on both Windows and Linux (and other operating systems as well).

Want to develop games? Well, you can use SDL together with OpenGL and you won't have to worry about WIN32, MFC, GTK+, QT, wxWidgets or any of the others.

WIN32? I bearely touched it. But I didn't like what little I did touch. I know pretty much nothing about MFC.

I suppose this didn't really answer your question. Sorry.

Win32 for most windows stuff.

If you're doing GUI stuff, I'd recommend not using straight windows APIs at all. If you insist on using C++ instead of a language that's better suited for that sort of task, try C++/CLI (managed C++), and use Winforms.

MFC is...well, I'll just say it's not my favorite thing in the world.

I had some trouble learning Win32 API but now it's fine... the only problem is that it gets really boring and annoying to rewrite the window code for every window that there is. So writing a class for that wouldn't hurt. I think Win32 API is the best choice :)

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.