Improving skills with Code Complete

Started by
4 comments, last by tagged 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi all, I am a student studying Computer Games Programming and having viewed the fantastic book review for "Code Complete" on GameDev I decided to purchase it in order to improve my software creation skills. However since buying it I am looking at the huge book and thinking how do I learn from this? As the book doesnt seam like something you dip into sections of but have to read as a whole how am I supposed to successfully use this book to improve myself? If anyone else has read the book and came up with anyways of using it effectively I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
Advertisement
A lot of the practices in that book have become sort of mainstream or are taught as part of cucciculums on how to code efficiently... Of course, most students never follow those rules at all. I'd say the whole book is worth a read, just glance over parts you've seen already. McConnell subdivises his information very well and often so there's not too much incessant rambbling going on.

Rapid Development which is a cookbook of practices can be browsed and was conceived more as a reference.

cheers!
"Un brin de haine et pas mal d''ennuisConduisent à des actes qui gâchent toute un vieCes personnes qui sont rongées de regretsCarrément aigries d''avoir vécus trop longtemps dans le secret..."-AKH-
I reading the whole thing, and am about half way through, and i love it. It has helped me a lot. However it is not necessary to read the whole thing and there are some parts that can be skimed a little more quickly if you are comfortable with the material in that part. I would however recommend you read as much of it as you can handle because you will learn many good practices.
Whenever you get a new book, start at the beginning, and read through it to the end. Then, if there's something you want to check out, are thinking about, or don't understand, go back and examine those parts in more detail.

This approach will work very well for Code Complete, btw.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
hplus0603, I thought I was the only person reading books like that. First reading thru the whole book not touching a single line of code, and go back to read up on the parts I thought were a little confusing or things I need to get a better grip on. :)
-Simen
Its the way the neurons in the brain work, reading through the book once and then skimming over parts later actually strengthens the connection between neurons making it MUCH easier to remember/recall and most importantly helping store the memory in long term instead of short :P

In other words, I do the same too..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement