Sign in to follow this  

General Delphi/Kylix questions

This topic is 4864 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've been using Dev-Free Pascal for the past week to get accustumed to my second main programming language ever. I really like it, and am thinking about buying Delphi 6/7/8 from Borland. I'm a little puzzled as to what I should be buying though, as I haven't found anything clear on these questions of mine. 1.) I want to develop on both Linux and Windows machines, for I have a linux and windows machine at my home. Do I need to buy just Kylix, or do I need both to compile on both systems? Or is it good to just have both to make sure the compiled version will work? 2.) Is Delphi 8.net a windows only program? Meaning, if I use Delphi 8.net code and try to transfer it over to Kylix 3(assuming my code is API independent), will it work? 3.) I understand I need the professional version of Delphi/Kylix to develop commercial applications. Are there any other strings attached, such as royalties I owe Borland if I sell 1,000 units of whatever I produce? 4.) Where can I get Delphi/Kylix for a reasonable price? I've searched everywhere, and being a student it's hard to pay anything more than $300 for a programming language. Any links to Delphi 6 Pro or Kylix 3 would be excellent. Going with this though, I did get an educational software offer for Delphi Pro 7 Academic. Does the Academic version limit me from deploying commercial applications? I've tried the Delphi trial versions, and have to say I really like the programming environment with Object Pascal. I figure Delphi will be excellent for RAD windows development and help me get into Object Orientation style coding. Thanks for all your help, and GO DELPHI! :)

No, you will not need to pay royalties.

Delphi 8 is .NET. This means you'll need a .NET environment to run the applications created (.NET on Windows, MONO on Linux, or whatever suits your fancy).

...however, last I checked Delphi 8 also came with Delphi 7, which is what you compile under in order to make a regular old Windows dependent program (program, dll, service, com object, etc). In both cases the actual IDE and development environment is Windows only.

I'm not sure if Kylix has been updated recently, but Kylix is basically a Delphi compiler for Linux. Like anything, you will need to have a compiler for platforms if you want to compile for both platforms. In theory however you could develop using just one. Kylix using a special set of Borlands VCL controls which are designed to be cross compatible. This means that Kylix applications should compile just fine on Windows, but a lot of normal Delphi apps won't compile on Kylix because they are dependent on Windows controls.

Thanks for the information Michalson.

It'd be a shame if they didn't continue Kylix and Delphi(a non .net version), for that was one of the reasons for me to get into Object Pascal programming and consider Delphi. Always Free Pascal I suppose, but I'd really like to have access to Borland's compiler and IDE.

Any idea where I can find a version of Delphi 6 Professional though? I really think Delphi 8.net+Delphi 7 would be overkill for me on both cash and tools. I also hear that Delphi 6 is the most compatible version with Kylix 3, but maybe I'm wrong.

:)

For the cost of Delphi 7 Enterprise Edition, 4 thousand dollars, you better not need to pay royalties.

Oh, and as for the price, someone I know said he found Delphi 7 Pro for 180 bucks, but he lives in Canada.

Also, Delphi 7 is a Windows program, and Kylix 3 is the Linux one which includes both Linux Delphi and Borland C++ Builder (Damn fine program)

@BTierens

I definitly want to go with Delphi over FreePascal though. I've tried Lazarus, but for some reason haven't been able to get it to run properly. Thanks for the suggustion though. (I've been using the FPC compiler to learn object pascal though ;) )

@Geno the Great

If your friend got a legitamet copy of D7 pro, then send him to me now. :)
Wow, didn't know Kylix 3 had the full version of C++ Builder, That's great!

Thanks all.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wasn't my friend actually, it was my dad, who works for the state. They bought it for him. Also, you need to "find" a CD key for BC++ Builder, since the supplied one doesn't work, speaking about Delphi Studio Enterprise Edition, of course.

Sign in to follow this