Sign in to follow this  

how do you get graphics in games???

This topic is 4870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Here is some theory fo ya :

Say you have coordinates that represents a position of a object on the screen, like (100, 250). Say you also have an image of an object, like a small spaceship, stored in memory. When the player of the game presses a button, say, the left arrow key, that could make the coordinates x component (the 100) decrease. Since the players ship will be drawn at the above coordinates, any change in the coordinates will affect the position of the ship.

-Jason

PS keep in mind that game programming is difficult, and can be very frustrating. Get some books, carry em around till the pages start to fall out. :)

I would recommend 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus." You'll learn the basics of the WinAPI (such as creating a window, loading icons/cursors, message pop-ups, handling/sending messages, etc. And that's just the first three chapters.

Then the author goes over the windows GDI, DirectX, Artificial Intelligence, 3D graphics, Physics, etc, etc, etc. I'm on chapter 4 right now but I've been looking ahead at the later chapters and I'm confident that by the end of the book I'll have a firm grasp on this game programming stuff.

Oh, and you can find it at Amazon.Com or any other online bookstore. You can also find it at safari.samspublishing.com, which is a pay service.

- Stephen

This topic is 4870 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.