Sign in to follow this  
bpaterni1

how do you get graphics in games???

I don't understand how you can get the graphics in the game to match up with what the code tells the game to do could someone direct me to a site for this?

Here is some theory fo ya :

Say you have coordinates that represents a position of a object on the screen, like (100, 250). Say you also have an image of an object, like a small spaceship, stored in memory. When the player of the game presses a button, say, the left arrow key, that could make the coordinates x component (the 100) decrease. Since the players ship will be drawn at the above coordinates, any change in the coordinates will affect the position of the ship.

-Jason

PS keep in mind that game programming is difficult, and can be very frustrating. Get some books, carry em around till the pages start to fall out. :)

I would recommend 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus." You'll learn the basics of the WinAPI (such as creating a window, loading icons/cursors, message pop-ups, handling/sending messages, etc. And that's just the first three chapters.

Then the author goes over the windows GDI, DirectX, Artificial Intelligence, 3D graphics, Physics, etc, etc, etc. I'm on chapter 4 right now but I've been looking ahead at the later chapters and I'm confident that by the end of the book I'll have a firm grasp on this game programming stuff.

Oh, and you can find it at Amazon.Com or any other online bookstore. You can also find it at safari.samspublishing.com, which is a pay service.

- Stephen