What versions of DirectX support VC++ 6?

Started by
4 comments, last by Mastaba 19 years, 8 months ago
What is the newest version of DirectX that supports VC++6? I was under the impression 9.0C wasnt supported for vc6 or had problems.
Advertisement
I think you mean which versions of DirectX are supported by VC++ 6? Don't worry about the language barrier, just wanted to clear that up. [smile]

You can get all versions of the DirectX SDK to work in VC++ 6. They dropped official support in the latest version but there are a few things you can do to get it to work (but I don't know what they are).
____________________________________________________________AAAAA: American Association Against Adobe AcrobatYou know you hate PDFs...
*Edit* Yes, that's what I meant :)

Thanks for the reply, I found a little more info on the area, still wondering if that's all thats needed.

I looked through the 9.0c SDK release notes and noticed the VC6 wasn't "supported", but also that the d3dx.lib file for VC6 was including in the extras package.

Is that the only thing needed to get it to run on VC6?
Officially it's not supported but it does work. What this means is that if you do find an obscure bug, you're on your own MS won't fix it. You should be pretty safe though. Future releases will likely move farther away from VC6 and I wouldn't expect it to work well at all, but that should be at least a year away.

One note, if you don't have a more recent version of the Platform SDK than the one that comes with VC6 you'll likely have to download the latest and it can be a large download.
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Great to know! Thanks

The FULL Platform SDK consists of

Core SDK
Internet Development SDK
IIS SDK
MDAC SDK
Windows Installer SDK
WMI SDK
Tablet PC SDK

Im geussing I only need the Core SDK? That will save a lot of downloading time/space!

If so, the summary of the process will look something like:

1) Install Core SDK
2) Install DirectX 9.0C SDK (includes Dx Runtimes)
3) Copy d3dx.lib to the library folder where you install sdk (obtained from the DX Extras download)
4) Make a project in VC6 set the include paths

Thanks!
If I'm not mistaken, I think one or more of the sample projects actually also contain references to a lib that is in the MDAC SDK. But you probably can safely avoid getting that by editing that project if you want to build it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement