Sign in to follow this  
Malikive

Array Assignment

This is probably a really simple question...but it's botherin me, and I can't find anything on [google]. In c++ it's possible to initialize an array like so...
float array[] = {1.1, 2.2, 3.3, 4.4};

But is there any way to make a similar assignment after you declare the array without individually assigning each element? Here's what I want to do...but it's obviously a compilation error.
// Want to Do...
float array[4];

array = {0.0, 1.1, 2.2, 3.3};

// Don't want to have to do... 
float array[4];

array[0] = 0.0;
array[1] = 1.1;
array[2] = 2.2;
array[3] = 3.3;

Also, one other question about floats...is there a reason some implementations put an "f" after the number like... float x = 2.33f; Thanks!

Hrm...it makes sense logically for that to be the case, but what does it ultimately do? Is it just good practice or will it get rid of compilation errors because of the compiler thinking you're assigning a double to a float variable?

Thanks for responding, I just don't see the purpose :)

Quote:
Original post by Malikive
Is it just good practice or will it get rid of compilation errors because of the compiler thinking you're assigning a double to a float variable?

Yep, MSVC gives warnings about that sometimes.

About the original problem - Nope, theres no way to do it like that. You could create a tempoary array and memcpy it, but that'll be slow (unless the compiler has some pretty good intrinsics), and pointless.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if you could or not, but that makes sense. I did figure out what I was trying to do anyways by just using initialization.

Thanks for your responses!