Open Source Mario Game!

Started by
7 comments, last by owl 19 years, 8 months ago

An Open Source Super Mario Project Using SDL

If you miss the days of old, jumping on mushrooms and crawling in pipes, come check out Super Mario Clone FX. It's been in development for quite a while and it features a pretty nice level editor so anyone can make cool new levels for it. It's an open source project and people are free to volunteer to help, there's contact information on the site. The code is released under the GNU General Public License. It uses SDL and has just been ported to Linux, so hopefully everyone can enjoy it. The Super Mario Clone FX Website! [Edited by - Boder on August 18, 2004 7:05:27 PM]
Advertisement
Wow. Good looking.
In that second screen cap, shouldn't it be "Lives: " in the top right? It would be a shame to have such a pretty game ruined with a little grammar mix up.

Then again, I am awful at grammar. So maybe it is me!
Thank you bug scout Visage!

Any other bug scouts can hunt for bugs. Remember to post them to the forum (guests can post with no problems). We need more English players to find typo bugs ... [cool]

Actually, I think mario has a speech impediment and we were trying to immerse the player in the mario world. Mario says, "I only haf five lifes left" [wink]

[Edited by - Boder on August 19, 2004 7:20:46 PM]
Awesome job! You should change "Lifes" to "Mans". [grin]

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

I probably should have waited until version 0.9.2 came out. But anyway, the new version is out and it is very cool. You can download the patch for windows on the Super Mario Clone website.

The latest release has a lot of cool stuff, like a revamped level editor and a item box at the top of the screen. If you are developing a level for mario, this release is especially important because it offers the latest tools.

Check it out!
[cough]Copyright Infringment[/cough]

You shoulda done Sonic, Sega is 100% for fan games that are free and don't steal their profits, Nintendo on the other hand, is not...
Free File Upload - Upload any file under 10MB free, new features added all the time. Newest Feature: Not requiring e-mail address. Current Refrozen Upload updates are going slow due to another project coming along... Watch this space for more information
It's a good effort, though the collision detection isn't quite perfect and you can't sprint. In the real game, holding down the Fire button makes you sprint. Also I encountered a bug where I would not move on to the next level after finishing one.

I have the ROM for the game (which, yes, is legal, since I had bought the original with my SNES) so I can play the actual game whenever I want. :) I love that game.
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Quote:
(which, yes, is legal, since I had bought the original with my SNES)

Hmm, there's lots of controversy over that one - legal things are always confusing.
- fyhuang [ site ]
I'm downloading it right now...

I don't think you can call it "Super Mario [something]" if Nintendo registered that combination of words for a PC game... But, I'm not sure.

I'll post comments later.

EDIT:

Hey! This is a pretty nice game! It needs a little more of work in controls and maybe waiting for vertical retrace could be a good thing.

I'm sure a lot of people will have plenty of fun working on this project. Great idea!

Whoever leads this project should check the copyright issues, just in case tho..

[Edited by - owl on August 25, 2004 12:16:06 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement