Sign in to follow this  
CrystalParadigm

Aqua Invasion V1.0.0 Released!

Crystal Paradigm's first contribution to the Arcade-style gaming revival, Aqua Invasion, has finally been released! It will be available for a limited time exclusively on eBay: edit: Link removed James R. DiGiovanna (dba Crystal Paradigm) [Edited by - CrystalParadigm on August 27, 2004 2:14:41 PM]

Screenshots... I knew I forgot something ;-)

I'm getting plenty of hits, but no sales... Maybe that's it in a nutshell. I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks!

James R. DiGiovanna (dba Crystal Paradigm)

Okay, I have a screenshot. But... I can't add it to this eBay listing. I will add it to the next eBay listing when the current listing expires and I'll post the link to the next listing when I create it. For now though, here's the link:

edit: Link removed

Take a look! :-)

James R. DiGiovanna(dba Crystal Paradigm)

[Edited by - CrystalParadigm on August 27, 2004 2:23:26 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Wait, wait... 4 bucks for rude asteroids clone?!?? Don't you people get ideas from time to time? Cheesh...

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Wait, wait... 4 bucks for rude asteroids clone?!?? Don't you people get ideas from time to time? Cheesh...

That's not Asteroids, that's Space Invaders. Get your history together [smile]

Well, it's based on Space Invaders, true. I actually got the idea from EGM's interview with the creator of Space Invaders. It has a few twists that no other version has, though, and it wasn't exactly meant to compete with 3D First-Person Shooters.

Anonymous: With a name like "Aqua Invasion" and a $4.50 bottom line price, what are you expecting? Metal Gear Solid IV: Legacy of Vengeance?

Just my humble opinion but I think the only way you will sell copies is to put out a demo that lets you do say 1 or 2 levels but then makes you purchase the full version to continue.

While screenshots may peak my interest I still won't fork over any dough until I get to try it.

Again, just might be me :)

Being an avid gamer myself (and a skeptic) I would tend to agree. But, it's my opinion that the Shareware paradigm really doesn't work. A funny story: I downloaded the shareware version of ID Software's Doom from Prodigy with a 9600 baud modem. It took all night to download, and I played that game to death, I swear. But, I never purchased the game. Almost two years later, ID "officially" released Doom in stores. *Then* it became popular. I have several pieces of shareware on my computer now, all with annoying bits of nagware installed that bother me every so often to "Please purchase or your computer will self destruct" or some such nonsense. In retrospect, perhaps my Karma is punishing me in this case.

Seriously considered though, how many people really register and purchase Shareware?

Apparently you aren't aware of a multi-million dollar industry? :D

www.popcap.com
www.realarcade.com
www.gamehouse.com
www.bigfishgames.com
www.dexterity.com
www.retro64.com

Only a small sampling of BOOMING channels...

Namco is licensing a version of Pacman that can be downloaded onto a PDA or Cell Phone, a subscription for two weeks costs about $4.50. Think about this... is the gaming industry really shifting more towards subscription service? The multi-million dollar industry you're referring to is actually selling game subscriptions and subscriptions for game downloads, not games. Besides this, an exorbitant amount of Venture Capital is require to create the infrastructure necessary for this type of business, thus raising the overhead of making the games and costing gamers more in the long run for less.

Honestly, you have a huge amount of research you need to do.

Subscription based services only SCRATCH THE SURFACE of that million dollar industry.

I'd say only a small fraction of that is exactly from subscriptions. The majority is from direct sales.

You must still be thinking of shareware from the Doom days because at present, the downloadable market is booming. I know PLENTY of people that make a good living off selling a few nice shareware games online or through portal publishers. Its not companies like Namco that are dominating this market, it is a lot of rising independants and independant publishers. Individual downloable games can sell thousands (even hundreds of thousands) - obviously a pac-man clone doesn't, but there are tons of developers with innovative and great games. The online market is very different from the retail market.

You really need to read up on this more.

Before I get any flames for bumping this topic back to the top, I would like to say only that I have removed the links in my previous posts and that this is my last post on this topic, after which this topic should be closed by a moderator.

McMcDonald asked for the results of my marketing attempt, so here I will outline my failure as a signpost to all:

I have put my game, Aqua Invasion, for sale exclusively on eBay for a total of 2 weeks. The price was $4.50, with free shipping. The current auction will end on Sunday, bringing the total to 17 days. Between the two auctions I ran, I have brought about 515 hits, but only 1 sale, for a total of $4.50 of sales revenue. Since publication, I have received three spoof e-mails aimed at "phishing" details of my eBay account, bank account, and credit card account, two virus-laden e-mails designed to take advantage of the MIME exploit (specifically win32.Gibe.F), one nasty e-mail to poke fun at my attempt at serious business, and one e-mail which I have reported to the Department of Homeland Security which I will not describe.

In short, selling my game on eBay has turned out to be a complete failure, and has left me in a much worse position than when I started. I am always willing to admit mistakes, and it was a mistake for me to sell my game on eBay. I leave this post here as a warning so that none will make the same mistake.

Sign in to follow this