memory loss, leak or something?

Started by
14 comments, last by Interesting Dave 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi people, I seem to be having troubles with my coding, compiler, memory or something, because it keeps forgetting values and reseting them to 0 For example: player_state *ps = &sv.clients[n].ps; vec2 *speed = &ps->speed; (where player_state contains all game related data on a client, and vec2 just has x and y) The values speed->x and speed->y are fine at that point, but a couple of lines later speed->x is reset to 0, as well as ps->acc. Theres nothing inbetween that should be making a difference, and this isnt the only place that my pc seemingly losses interest in what I want it to remember. It was working fine, till I changed something.. but that was in a different area of the game so not exactly sure when the problem started. Am I just overlooking something here, or is something up? cheers
Roger that, lets run like hell!
Advertisement
if the "different area of the game" still has access to that data, it is suspect. Are there any "if (ps->x = 0.0)" type statements? (note the "=" instead of the "==")
Post the entire function this is occurring in, as well as the definition of sv and the code you use to initialize sv.clients.
If sv.clients is a std::vector, and the size of the vector changes, its contents can get reassigned to a different memory block, thereby invalidating your pointers. But yeah, post the definition and code and we'll have a better idea.
The problem isnt just specific to this function, I did have some heat problems earilier..

The function (a lame attempt for a little touch of physics).
(guessing the tag to enter code..)
void SV_MovePlayer(int n, int x, int y){	player_state *ps = &sv.clients[n].ps;	vec2 *speed = &ps->speed;	vec2 intersec, endintersec;	float maxspeed = ps->maxSpeed;	if (x != 0)	{		if (x == 1)		{			speed->x += ps->acc * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;					if (speed->x > maxspeed)				speed->x = maxspeed;		}		if (x == -1)		{			speed->x -= ps->acc * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;			if (speed->x < -maxspeed)				speed->x = -maxspeed;		}	}	else	{		if (speed->x - ps->dec > 0)			speed->x -= ps->dec * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;		else if (speed->x + ps->dec < 0)			speed->x += ps->dec * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;		else			speed->x = 0;	}	if (y != 0)	{		if (y == 1)		{			speed->y += ps->acc * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;						if (speed->y > maxspeed)				speed->y = maxspeed;		}		if (y == -1)		{			speed->y -= ps->acc * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;						if (speed->y < -maxspeed)				speed->y = -maxspeed;		}	}	else	{		if (speed->y - ps->dec > 0)			speed->y -= ps->dec * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;		else if (speed->y + ps->dec < 0)			speed->y += ps->dec * P_SPEED * sv.frameTime;		else			speed->y = 0;	}	//stop them moving off the playing field.	if(ps->pos.x + speed->x < 0 || ps->pos.x + ps->dim.x + speed->x > map.dim.x)		speed->x = 0;	if(ps->pos.y + speed->y < 0 || ps->pos.y + ps->dim.y + speed->y > map.dim.y)		speed->y = 0;	ps->pos.x += speed->x * sv.frameTime;	ps->pos.y += speed->y * sv.frameTime;	vec2 *mid = &ps->mid;	mid->x = ps->pos.x + ps->dim.x/2;	mid->y = ps->pos.y + ps->dim.y/2;	if(ps->turnType == TURN_MOUSE)		ps->angle = (float)(M_AngleVec2(ps->mid, sv.clients[n].input.xhair) - (3.1415/2));}

definition of sv
typedef struct{	sv_object	objects[MAX_OBJECTS];	sv_client	clients[MAX_CLIENTS];	prop		props[MAX_PROPS];	team		teams[MAX_TEAMS];	float		time;	float		frameTime;	float		lastFrame;	int		clientCount;	int		frame;	int		lastActiveObj;}sv_local;
oh, and to init sv.clients (called when a player connects)
void SV_BuildClient(){	int n = SV_NextClientSlot();	sv_client *client = &sv.clients[n];	client->obj = &sv.objects[n];	client->index = n;	client->ps.clientnum = n;	client->ps.speed = M_NewVec2(0,0);	client->ps.acc = 1;	client->ps.dec = 5;	client->ps.dim.x = 24;	client->ps.dim.y = 24;	for(int i = 0; i < MAX_INV_SLOTS; i++)		client->ps.inv.empty = true;	client->ps.health = 100;	client->ps.maxHealth = 100;	client->ps.maxSpeed = 10;	client->ps.respawnTime = 0;	client->obj->frame = FRAME_PLAYER;	client->ps.turnType = TURN_MOUSE;	client->active = true;}

and when the server is started:
void SV_InitClients(){	for(int n = 0; n < MAX_CLIENTS; n++)	{		sv.clients[n].active = false;		sv.objects[n].team = 0;	}}
ok, the values seem to being reset after the first frame, which probably means there somewhere in my code thats reseting values (both client and server side)... so off i go to have a looksie :/
Keep in mind that you can use the debugger to place a watchpoint, that will pause the program when a specific memory location is changed. That could be very useful here.
Slightly offtopic, I know gdb can do conditional breakpoints and watch breaks like you describe, I've yet to figure out how to do that in VS6... ?
Debug->New Breakpoint... Select the "Data" tab, enter the variable you want to watch. (to watch the contents of a pointer ptr, use *ptr.) Linky. Note that this is for VS.NET; I'm not sure if 6 does it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement