Video to Texture on Linux

Started by
6 comments, last by cody 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm currently trying to find a platform-independent method of rendering video files (AVI or other) to a texture. After searching these forums, I've found only two results: use DirectShow, or use the NeHe method, which uses Video For Windows. Both are Windows-specific. So... what about Linux games? If you are developing for Linux, how then would you go about rendering a video? Is there any such standard or library that most Linux game developers use? Or are they always forced to decode the video file manually?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Nairou
I'm currently trying to find a platform-independent method of rendering video files (AVI or other) to a texture. After searching these forums, I've found only two results: use DirectShow, or use the NeHe method, which uses Video For Windows. Both are Windows-specific.

So... what about Linux games? If you are developing for Linux, how then would you go about rendering a video? Is there any such standard or library that most Linux game developers use? Or are they always forced to decode the video file manually?

I only know about this project.

I recommend you to use another format for cross-platform video, because AVI is a proprietary format, and it's meant for Windows only.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
AVI is proprietary? Very interesting. I'm certainly not opposed to using another format, as long as the quality/compression was decent, AVI is just the most common. Do you know offhand any good open video formats? I suppose there's a directory of video formats somewhere...
Check out this thread here for my input on this.

I have uploaded a semi working plugin to the ogreaddons cvs (check out www.ogre3d.org) that plays ogg theora files minus audio. Or a windows demo of an OGRE Ogg Theora app here

As far as AVI's being proprietary, I don't think that is exactly true. AVI is only a container format (similar to ogg), and does not necessarily contain any video stream inside it. Almost any codec can be shoved inside an AVI - and some of those are proprietary/patented.

EDIT: fixed OGRE link

[Edited by - pjcast on August 18, 2004 1:57:49 AM]
Wow... Theora looks VERY promising. And I've never even heard of it. :) I'll definitely have to keep an eye on that project, it could prove to be just what I'm looking for. Thanks!
Looking through the Theora site (www.theora.org), I'm curious if it is still in active development? Many of the website links no longer work, and the mailing list archives ended back in May. Theora looks very promising, I certainly hope it hasn't died.
Nah, they havn't died. It is common that their website isn't updated that often. And as for their lists, I don't know, I guess they stopped using those. They hang around irc.freenode.net in #theora channel quite often. Progress is a little slow but the more people that get involved will hopefully add momentum to the project.

you could use avilib+xvid, thats very easy to handle and is cross platform. im using this on windows and linux with c#/.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement