why is everything so expensive?

Started by
29 comments, last by Wysardry 19 years, 8 months ago
Why is everything so freaking expensive?? 3ds max, photoshop, ms visual studios, books, etc. I dont got a money income so I can't afford much. Do you know why everything is so expensive?
Advertisement
Good question.

50-60 dollars for a book is ridiculous.
Quote:Original post by Gauvir_Mucca
Good question.

50-60 dollars for a book is ridiculous.

THat's ridiculous, yes, but not much compared to some books where I live. all are about 70-150 bucks. and that sucks.
and I think 3ds max is 3000 bucks.
Because that's what people will pay for them? That's the definition of what something is worth, anyway. Those programs aren't exactly priced to fit the indie, but they're not really developed to support the indie, either. They're made for professional use, and it's the professionals that can pay that price.

Anyway, my advice would be to look at either a) student versions (much cheaper if you're a student) or b) some of the free/cheap/open source alternatives out there. In regards to books, yeah they're often expensive, but sometimes you can find deals. Try looking up your book on Amazon and go to the "Used and new from" link, sometimes you can get hella deals there.
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Many professional packages have many more features then you'll probably need, and you can usually find cheaper alternatives.

Photoshop is one of the best apps to have if you run a professional fine-art printing studio, but for video game graphics, you can often get by with an image editor for less then a hundred dollars, or you can even download Gimp for free. I manage to get by using the software that came free with my scanner.

3-d studio Max and Maya are good if you want to make Toy Story, but you just want to make game models, you can use milkshape (cheep) or use Blender or Anim8or for free.

For sound, rather than buying soundforge, you may just get away with using free programs like audacity and goldwave.

Books are still expensive, but now, almost everything you need to know is written in an internet tutorial somewhere. Usually you can look up any subject and the word "tutorial" on google and it will pop up

finally, there are even free compilers/IDEs out there, so yes the prices on the good stuff can be a little steep, but that doesn't have to shut you out.

Well good point Instruo, but it's still frustrating when you're making a game that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to do it and learn it.
As for Amazon, I wont go there, since it's hell of a price to get stuff here to sweden ;)
Kelly G, I have GIMP, and GMAX, and Anim8or, and Dev-C++. And those are fine, however I'm still angry that all stuff is so expensive.
And I know there are tutorials but most of them are in english. I can understand most things in english, just not programming so well.
The sound programs, never heard of any of them. I'm rarely making sounds.
Look for tutorials i do! Visual Art is not our business
Quote:Original post by Tobbe
Well good point Instruo, but it's still frustrating when you're making a game that you have to pay hundreds of dollars to do it and learn it.
As for Amazon, I wont go there, since it's hell of a price to get stuff here to sweden ;)

You don't seem to know what you're talking about. Amazon.co.uk is much cheaper than Swedish bookstores, and shipping is around 100 SEK even if you buy 10 books. You can save thousands of SEK by buying from amazon.
There are free stuff you know. You don't need to 'follow the crowd' and use expensive tools like Visual Studio (an IDE), 3DS MAX (3D), Photoshop (2D).
If you search a bit, you'll find great replacements like Dev-C++ (IDE), Blender3D (3D), GIMP (2D).

For 3D and 2D tools you can take a look in the Visual Arts forum, to be specific: this thread.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement