Shadow Volume Artifact (Screenshot Included)

Started by
11 comments, last by Mastaba 19 years, 8 months ago
I had similar problem. My meshes were not closed too... I even tried this algorithm on boxes (which is far from closed)... very ugly results ;)
Now I use shadow mapping instead 0:-)
Bulma
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Bulma
I had similar problem. My meshes were not closed too... I even tried this algorithm on boxes (which is far from closed)... very ugly results ;)
Now I use shadow mapping instead 0:-)
In the mean-time I`ve searched gamedev with google (wow it works finally after the recent site changes, never worked before during last years) and everybody seems to offer same advice go with shadow maps. Just a quick question, shadow-maps don`t care if a mesh is not closed ? Because we`ve got about 8 characters fully animated and imported into engine. I don`t want to start exporting them again,that would be a nightmare. And that`s considering that all holes would be closed in modelling program easilly, which doesn`t seem to be the case based on what i`ve read so far...

Either way, circular shadows aren`t that bad, are they ;) ?

VladR My 3rd person action RPG on GreenLight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92951596

The DirectX 9.0c SDK (and perhaps earlier I'm not sure) shadow volume sample documentation explains how to modify your mesh so that it remains closed when extruded by the shader.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement