Few 3D newbie questions

Started by
1 comment, last by evolutional 19 years, 8 months ago
Greetings, At first I have to say I am totaly beginner in D3D. :) And now, my questions. 1) Where can I find GOOD FREE EBOOKS for D3D? I have not enough money to buy "unfree" ebook. 2) Which animation methodes are used in 3D. I know only tweening, but are there any better ways to do animation in 3D? 3) Which file formats are most used for 3D models in games? Thank you in advance. PS: Please don't write "use google". ;)
Advertisement
1) msdn.microsoft.com. The MS documentation on D3D is really quite good, I'd suggest taking a look at it.

2) By tweening I guess you mean using key-frames and interpolating between them. Another method is vertex skinning, AKA skeletal animation where you build a a skeleton for the model, assign different verticies to different bones and then animate the bones.

3) Most engines have their own format, and there's a lot of engines out there [smile]. If you want a specific format you could use MD2 or MD3 (quake2 and quake3 formats) may be worth taking a look at.

Oh and [google][razz] there's a whole load of information out there, a bit of research using google can do wonders.
There's a few of decent Direct3D tutorials on the net.

Andy Pike's site
Drunken Hyena
Game Tutorials: Direct X page
NeXe, an attempt to implement the NeHe tutorials in DirectX. This seems to have died though [sad].

By reading through the sites above and messing around is a good way to start out in DirectX. Have a look at the SDK samples source and tweak around with it, this way you'll be able to see how things change and hopefully learn how to do things in your own way.

As for model format, DirectX has in-built support for X-files - the MS DirectX format. However, you can get some tools to do model conversion (Milkshape3D is a good, cheap, modeller/convertor). I generally load MS3D models into my games as it has the easiest to parse file format. But you'll be able to find MD2/MD3 loaders if you look around (GameTutorials.com has some if you look on their site).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement