Sign in to follow this  

Simple Question about Vertex Arrays

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have multiple objects each with their own array of Vertices that need to be drawn to the screen. How should I approuch this, a) Use one vertex buffer and just compact the vertices together even though its NOT the same object, and use a little trickery witht he index buffer? <----The more I think about it, the more this makes sense...... b)Create a Vertex buffer for each object, BUT that might get crazy, becuase lets say I have 5 objects of 1 type, and 1 object of another and 3 objects more left, that would be 10 Vertex Buffers. Can I assign each buffer to a different "source" for the D3D device? or is there a max? Well once I figure this out and my other problem I can start loading my models into my FG - Sonic 2-2(1/2)D w000t... THanks in Advance

Hi,

both is doable. But I would only use a) if it was for static objects.

Your b) statement is not quite right. It's very well possible to use the same vertex buffer if you have 5 objects of type 1. You simply have to decouple your vertex data from your objects and instead let your objects reference to the vertex data. Like this all your type 1 object would refer to the same vertex data.

Metron

So when its time to "render" the objects just re-user the vertex buffer but draw them in a differnt place? to simulate different Objects.....uh yes I think I'm seeing this.

Well IS there a Maxium Vertex Source? like only 8 vertex buffers can be used per-scene? I never thought about it, I might just google that question, but does anybody know on the top of their head?

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.