DirectDraw or Direct3D?

Started by
7 comments, last by demonkoryu 19 years, 8 months ago
On Flipcode, one article stated that DirectDraw was outdated. It did not make sense for newbies to DirectX to learn an outdated system. Instead, it said to learn Direct3D in 2D. I am confused. Which one should I use? I see more people using DirectDraw, but the article denounces it.
Advertisement
I can't answer you directly, but here's some threads that cover this topic.

should I skip learning directdraw?
DirectX 9: DirectDraw vs Direct3d
DirectDraw or Direct3D?
DirectX 9 -- DirectDraw - Important note about the DX7 SDK.
Now that DDraw/D3D are merged...

There's plenty others, too. Just do a search on "DirectX or Direct3D", and it'll turn up plenty of threads.

Hope that helps,

-hellz
People now a days also Direct Draw. But yes it is outdated. It hasn't gone under development since years.

Yes ... Direct3D can be used for 2D Stuff too. Take it this way ... in 3D you have 3 Axis ... X, Y & Z. What you do with it is that you use X & Y while setting Z a common value for the whole game ... lets take 1.0f for an example.

Try to have a look at a few tutorials in the article section. Both of them are quite easy. Its just that D3D requires a lot of code then 2D. Why the articles suggest it ... well its obvious to go with the new technology. You don't want to stay behind every one or do you?
Well, I'd suggest going with Direct3D. Your goal is to one day move into 3D game programming, right? If you learn DirectDraw, you'd have to relearn everything to learn Direct3D. But if you go 2D in Direct3D, the transition will be a lot easier.
.:<<-v0d[KA]->>:.
Hi, just in case anyone is looking for it:

DirectX information

That's the pure DirectX7 dox.

Thermo
Quote:People now a days also Direct Draw. But yes it is outdated. It hasn't gone under development since years.

That's not quite correct. DirectDraw is used by most Media Players on Windows for overlay surfaces and video format data.

But it's capabilities haven't been improved much, you're right.

Thermo
Quote:Original post by The Lion King
People now a days also Direct Draw. But yes it is outdated. It hasn't gone under development since years.

Yes, the reason DirectDraw is not updated is because the current trend is in 3D graphics. It's arguable that 2D is dying out (more importantly in popularity). Both DirectDraw and Direct3D can be used in a 2D environment.
I am currently going through the Andre Lamothe "Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus". The book basically is a huge tutorials for building a software based engine in DirectDraw.

I have done games in Direct3D but I am finding that "getting dirty" with DirectDraw and learning and understanding the 3D functions is amazing.

Just another perspective :)
Agreed.
It is surely beneficial if you have written your own scan-line renderer, to help you to thoroughly understand the subject.
clickie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement