OpenGL device driver development on Windows

Started by
5 comments, last by dimensionX 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I am new to device driver development. Can anyone suggest good book or online links which explain WindowsXP device driver architecture and especially how to develop device driver for OpenGL and Direct3D. I really need to learn this ASAP! Thanks.
Advertisement
Getting the hardware to interface with Windows should be possible, but enabling hardware accelerated 3D functions will probably not. The architectures of most cards are not published or otherwise accessible information.

In any case.. try this as a starting point

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gstart/hh/gstart/gs_intro_c8771cce-8b70-4744-9279-81c600e218c7.xml.asp
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
I see many job postings asking for programmers who have experience or knowledge of developing graphics drivers for OpenGL on Windows and Linux. Well I am not experienced but I curious to know how to get there ?

Thanks
get hired as a programmer at a company that manufactures graphic cards. simple eh? ;-)
Not as simple as it sounds :~)

For an entry level programmer is it sufficient to have good C/C++, 3D Graphics and OpenGL programming knowledge to get hired by a company that develops graphics cards and device drivers ?

Quote:Original post by dimensionX
Not as simple as it sounds :~)

Indeed [smile]
Quote:
For an entry level programmer is it sufficient to have good C/C++, 3D Graphics and OpenGL programming knowledge to get hired by a company that develops graphics cards and device drivers ?

You will most likely not be hired in the driver development department. First of all you'd need strong skills in low-level programming (including assembly language). Some knowlegde in hardware design is also required.

Try to get an internship first.
I guess, no no... IT was a lame, silly.... question. I dont know anything about graphics drivers (especially that it was hardware vendor confidential info).

Thank you all for showing me the devine LIGHT and TRUTH :~)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement