Direct3D device driver development on Windows

Started by
14 comments, last by Donavon Keithley 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I am new to device driver development. Can anyone suggest good book or online links which explain WindowsXP device driver architecture and especially how to develop device driver for OpenGL and Direct3D. I really need to learn this ASAP! Thanks.
Advertisement
What actually do you mean by Device Drivers ??? The one that windows use to setup hardware ???
Try the Windows DDK site. Though I don't know if the DDK is available for free (I doubt that).
I see many job postings asking for programmers who have experience or knowledge of developing graphics drivers for OpenGL on Windows and Linux. Well I am not experienced but I curious to know how to get there ?

Thanks
To write DirectX device drivers on windows, you need:
- Hardware-specific info: Classified. You'll only have this if you're an IHV
- The DirectX Driver Development Kit (DDK). You won't get this unless you're an IHV (or work at one)

In short, I don't know a good way to write drivers on windows unless you create the hardware yourself [smile]

Quote:I see many job postings asking for programmers who have experience or knowledge of developing graphics drivers for OpenGL on Windows and Linux. Well I am not experienced but I curious to know how to get there ?

My guess:
Get linux, get some open source GL drivers (there are loads of these on linux), and train yourself there - innovate as much as you can. Prove yourself.

Now I'm sure someone else who knows better will chime in and tell us what's the right plan for windows.

I guess, no no... IT was a lame, silly.... question. I dont know anything about graphics drivers (especially that it was hardware vendor confidential info).

Thank you all for showing me the devine LIGHT and TRUTH :~)
The fact that hw info is confidential is not the point - the point is, however: you need to know the hardware inside out to be able to write a driver for it, and you simply do not have the necessary knowledge about the hardware if you don't work in collaboration with it's maker (or happen to be it's maker yourself).

You may want to look at Linux drivers for major cards if you want to see how a driver is written, but do not expect to write one yourself if you have no previous experience on the matter.

Kind regards,
-Nik

EDIT: I just realized, I re-wrote Coder's post [smile]

Niko Suni

Quote:Original post by Coder
- The DirectX Driver Development Kit (DDK). You won't get this unless you're an IHV (or work at one)

Actually, all of the DDK's are included in an MSDN Universal subscription, so they aren't *that* exclusive (though, I guess the cost of an MSDN subscription makes it exclusive [smile]).

Of course, this doesn't come with source code for any display drivers. For that, you need to become a user of the SharedSource Program.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
.. or you can run around writing unable drivers, screwing up others computers. [lol]
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
Quote:Original post by Coder

Actually, all of the DDK's are included in an MSDN Universal subscription, so they aren't *that* exclusive (though, I guess the cost of an MSDN subscription makes it exclusive [smile]).

You know, Dustin. If you keep mentioning this universal subscription long enough, I'll kill you someday and scavenge it from your body (You do carry the "subscription badge" on you, don't you? And it does come with a badge, right?) [grin]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement