Choice of Compiler

Started by
21 comments, last by Spintwo 19 years, 8 months ago
Ok, i did a 'lil 3D engine with basic stuff (vertex,texture mapping, some homemade vertex shaders) with VB6 and Direct3D8... while coding this i encountered some problems because vb does not have support for Pointers, so i decided to go with C++. Now i need to know what would be the best IDE to devlop a game (or an engine). I looked at Borland C++BuilderX Personnal CD for 10$ US, sounds a great deal, but i dont wanna buy something that won't let me do what i want...i'm planning on using DirectX9. Thank you.
Advertisement
I think the MSVC++ IDE/Compiler is the best for windows programs and things like that (especially DirectX). I think you can get a free introductory compiler for MSVC++, but you can't distribute the games on it but its good to learn from. There is also Dev-C++ which is also pretty good and it's free. If you choose MSVC++, you can either download the free 2005 Beta Version or buy a 2003 .Net version. Correct me if I am wrong.
Why don't you try the GNU GCC Windows port - MingW, or get Dev-C++ from http://www.bloodshed.net/, they are free. You can also try the Intel C++ compiler which I think is free for non commercial use.
Microsoft Visual C++ .NET is about £60... its the most widely used IDE for commerial game development. I use version 6.0, and love it!
Check out my first game here.
Microsoft's Visual C++ .NET is the best IDE I have ever used.

You can get the 7.1 compiler VC++ compiler for free now, check here.

There's IDEs for the windows port of GCC, MinGW from both Parinya and BloodShed - which are both free, but not as good as the MS VC++ IDE.

Digital Mars are offering a Free C/C++ compiler too, which you may want to check out.

You might want to check out this thread for some useful information on alternative IDEs and compilers too.

If you want to develop .NET programs, you can check out SharpDevelop which reminds me a lot of Visual Studio in functionality.
I'd start out with VS 6.0. It'd be cheaper by today's new compilers, and yet you have a good amount of functionability.
I personally like dev C++. evem though I have mscv 6.0, I never use it. it is rather complex for the begginer, and for some reason, just seems harder to use(I am a begginer to, but I think im far enough to know)
______________________________My website: Quest Networks
I'd go with MSVC or Bloodshed. MSVC *Pro* has a few extras, but Bloodshed gets the job done just as well (and for free). If you really wanted to, you could download the MSVC compiler (the actual command-line compiler is free), and tell Bloodshed to use it.
Quote:Original post by The Plan 9 Hacker
I'd start out with VS 6.0. It'd be cheaper by today's new compilers, and yet you have a good amount of functionability.

I have to strongly disagree, VS 6.0 is not worth the savings, it should be considered broken and obsolete. I agree with everyone who is saying get VC++.net 2003 or Dev C++.
I hate .NET because its bulky slow and difficult to distribute, I use Visual studio 6.0 though and love it. Eventually I'll move to .net just because its the industry standard but that doesn't make it suck any less.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement