Sign in to follow this  
Tree Penguin

512x512 or 4x256x256?

Hi, what do you reccommend using, a large texture of 512 by 512 pixels, or dividing it in portions (only one of the 4 parts of the texture is displayed on a triangle) of 256 by 256 pixels? I'd like to know the speed difference between these cases: One VBO, VA or immeadiate mode primitive with a 512x512 pixel texture. OR Multiple VBOs VAs or glBegins/glEnds (4 or more) using mutiple but smaller textures. Would it make a difference at all? Thanks.

Well, it depends entirely. What are you trying to do. Could you outline it a little for us?

Actually, I don't think there is much performance to gain in such "nitpicking." But I can tell you this: binding textures is regarded as an expensive operation in OpenGL, and should probably not be done more often than can be helped. Thus, I assume it is best to go for four textures saved in a 512x512 texture. Then you'll have to just modify the texture coordinates accordingly.

Your question about VBOs / Vertex arrays also depends on your implementation. Swapping vertex buffers is also not good to do more times than necessary.

These things might be negligble, though, and probably not have a noticeable impact on performance.

Quote:
Original post by James Trotter
Thus, I assume it is best to go for four textures saved in a 512x512 texture.

I think he was talking about splitting a standard 512x512 texture into 4 256x256 ones, just for the hell of it.

The only time I've heard of this being done, is in (the original I think) Unreal, because only a few cards supported textures above 256x256 then.

First case:
Lets say you are drawing a heightmap of 512x512 vertices using 4 parts of 256x256 vertices (because of culling alogrithms or whatever). The original texture is 512x512 but the parts only visualize 256x256 texels. So would it be faster to make a texture for each part, or just use the big one.

Second case:
You are drawing a heightmap containing 4 parts which each have their individual textures. Would it be faster to combine these textures into one larger texture and draw all the geometry at once instead of 4 steps?

According to what James Trotter said i guess the larger texture would be faster.

I don't know if it's nitpicking or not, i just wondered if large textures are slower even if the amount of texels drawn are the same.