Sign in to follow this  

My first game - complete!

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Well I started making a side-scroller, thinking I could skip easier games. Realised after about a day that it wasn't going to happen, so I aimed lower it a 2-player pong clone called "Crazy Balls". An hour or so of planning, 2 days of coding and 2 hours of testing/optimising/tweaking later I have this humble offering: Download Site See what you think - I have learnt a lot from this small project. But Im sure you guys could give me some suggestions for improvements, etc. Download it and have a go! Thankyou! :) [EDIT] Controls (almost forgot): Q - move left paddle up A - move left paddle down SPACE - launch ball UP_ARROW - move right paddle up DOWN_ARROW - move right paddle down First player to ten points wins! [EDIT 2] www.technation.000k.net has reviewed this game and given it 70%! [Edited by - beebs on August 19, 2004 4:54:55 PM]

I think thats pretty good for a first game. I'm still working on my first game, but good job. I'm just wondering what API did you use? And maybe you could polish up the game, so you can add a title screen and things like that. Maybe even add one player or two player so you can either play againt the computer or your friend. But still good job.

Thanks. I agree it could do with an intro screen, a menu, maybe some sound effects. In fact, Il start on that now! I used the DirectX API.

What are you making as a first game?

I'm working on a small text-based RPG. Something I can complete in about a week or two. I'm using it to learn all the things I know in C++ and the game helps me out in learning a lot about data structures and how to implement them.

After this I'm planning on moving into windows and DirectX and I'm going to make my own pong clone. I pretty much have everything planned out for that to. I just need to know how to draw everything LOL.

Very nice, beebs; well done! Only thing I'd say is that perhaps the ball moves a little quickly, compared to the rate of the paddles. Minor thing really.

What was said about the intro screen stands true. Perhaps if you made one, it would give you more of an idea of how all the main game elements interact together, in terms of states.

What about coming up with the AI for the second player as well, and releasing that as a different version? Or, better yet, make a menu screen with a choice of 1 or 2 players.

Again, well done. [smile]

-hellz

Quote:
Original post by hellz
Only thing I'd say is that perhaps the ball moves a little quickly, compared to the rate of the paddles. Minor thing really.

Its things like that that I want commented on! Thanks!

And yeah 1 player, where the paddle tracks the y-value of the ball, but the paddles speed will limit it from being unbeatable. God, this thing writes itself!

It needs background music for the main menu, perhaps a looping MIDI, and some sound fx for the ball collisions.

Thanks again!

If you want free sounds, check out FlashKit. Although the site is primarily designed around helping the Flash community, there's bound to be some loops in there that you can use for your game(s). They're mostly in .wav or .mp3 format.

Hope that helps,

-hellz

very good, i'd second with the ball speed thing. Id also say that maybe you could get rid of some of the 0's for the scores. I think it might look better instead of having 00000004 just having 4 or maybe 04 for the score.

Anyway keep up the good work!

lol, I was just coming back to post that same point, grekster. Totally agree. Does seem a little strange to have all the 0's there. [smile]

-hellz

I think you could do something like:
do{
//some code here

start_time=GetTickCount();

//some extra code here

while((GetTickCount() - start_time) < 33);

I think you do someting similar to that. Or so I read. I can look it up and correct myself unless someone here will do that for me.

Don't lock the FPS. Look into frame-rate independent movement. The basic idea is that you measure the amount of time the previous frame took (in seconds) and multiply the next frame's movement by that delta. Locking the frame rate is asking for trouble.

When I have fixed this frame rate problem I will write a tutorial which takes you through making this game. This will a) hopefully make me learn more and b) help people who don't really 'get' putting it all together. Il put a link in this beginners forum so if you want the source look for that soon (tday, tmoro).

very good, but very hard to play by myself ;-). maybe put in some AI?? it wouldnt be too hard. and dont worry about not being able to do the side scrolling platformer. those types of games are very difficult. when i went to my summer workshop at Digipen, we used some software called ProjectFUN. its a very complex game making thingum, and is very good for games. but even with it, making a platformer is very hard. having to deal with collision, jumping, all that stuff is very difficult. my teacher as a matter of fact was making a Mario clone using FUN, and i sat with him for like an hour one time just watching him work on it, and i cant tell you how many problems he ran into that were a pain to deal with

Thats awesome. Pong is the ultimate first game to create! Your version has a very nice feel to it. The only thing I didn't like was the ball speed. Other than that, keep up the great work!

- Stephen

Thanks! Im really pleased that people like it... Im working on a single player mode now with AI, and also a menu system. Im thinking of something like this for AI:

if (ball.x < aipaddle.x)
aipaddle.x+=5;

etc.

It just needs polishing really after that - some sound, tweak the ball speed, lock the frame rate (apparently it went too fast on some comps).

Thanks again!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Nice work for a first game. Have you considered placing breakable blocks in there so it is like a breakout/pong hybrid?
That would be an interesting twist.

Pete

This topic is 4868 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.