My first game - complete!

Started by
31 comments, last by beebs 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi all, Well I started making a side-scroller, thinking I could skip easier games. Realised after about a day that it wasn't going to happen, so I aimed lower it a 2-player pong clone called "Crazy Balls". An hour or so of planning, 2 days of coding and 2 hours of testing/optimising/tweaking later I have this humble offering: Download Site See what you think - I have learnt a lot from this small project. But Im sure you guys could give me some suggestions for improvements, etc. Download it and have a go! Thankyou! :) [EDIT] Controls (almost forgot): Q - move left paddle up A - move left paddle down SPACE - launch ball UP_ARROW - move right paddle up DOWN_ARROW - move right paddle down First player to ten points wins! [EDIT 2] www.technation.000k.net has reviewed this game and given it 70%! [Edited by - beebs on August 19, 2004 4:54:55 PM]
Check out my first game here.
Advertisement
I think thats pretty good for a first game. I'm still working on my first game, but good job. I'm just wondering what API did you use? And maybe you could polish up the game, so you can add a title screen and things like that. Maybe even add one player or two player so you can either play againt the computer or your friend. But still good job.
Thanks. I agree it could do with an intro screen, a menu, maybe some sound effects. In fact, Il start on that now! I used the DirectX API.

What are you making as a first game?
I'm working on a small text-based RPG. Something I can complete in about a week or two. I'm using it to learn all the things I know in C++ and the game helps me out in learning a lot about data structures and how to implement them.

After this I'm planning on moving into windows and DirectX and I'm going to make my own pong clone. I pretty much have everything planned out for that to. I just need to know how to draw everything LOL.
Very nice, beebs; well done! Only thing I'd say is that perhaps the ball moves a little quickly, compared to the rate of the paddles. Minor thing really.

What was said about the intro screen stands true. Perhaps if you made one, it would give you more of an idea of how all the main game elements interact together, in terms of states.

What about coming up with the AI for the second player as well, and releasing that as a different version? Or, better yet, make a menu screen with a choice of 1 or 2 players.

Again, well done. [smile]

-hellz
Quote:Original post by hellz
Only thing I'd say is that perhaps the ball moves a little quickly, compared to the rate of the paddles. Minor thing really.

Its things like that that I want commented on! Thanks!

And yeah 1 player, where the paddle tracks the y-value of the ball, but the paddles speed will limit it from being unbeatable. God, this thing writes itself!

It needs background music for the main menu, perhaps a looping MIDI, and some sound fx for the ball collisions.

Thanks again!
If you want free sounds, check out FlashKit. Although the site is primarily designed around helping the Flash community, there's bound to be some loops in there that you can use for your game(s). They're mostly in .wav or .mp3 format.

Hope that helps,

-hellz
very good, i'd second with the ball speed thing. Id also say that maybe you could get rid of some of the 0's for the scores. I think it might look better instead of having 00000004 just having 4 or maybe 04 for the score.

Anyway keep up the good work!
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
lol, I was just coming back to post that same point, grekster. Totally agree. Does seem a little strange to have all the 0's there. [smile]

-hellz
Absolutely... seeing as the maximum score is 10 :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement