Sign in to follow this  
boolean

My first attempt at shading (Gamedev.net comic)

Ok, before I start I would like to point out that the idea of this thread is NOT an excuse to spam the Gamedev.net comic. Just in case anyone though so [grin] Anyhow, I had some spare time tonight and started colouring the first panel of tonight’s comic, just to see what it would look like. I am a bit hesitant as I have had a few people state that they prefer a nice clean black and white comic, but when I see it coloured in it looks soo much nicer. So the below image is what I came up with. Now, this is my first attempt ever at shading, so I am hoping to get some feedback on wether it looks ok or not. The light is supposed to be coming from the computer monitor, and the room is supposed to be only slightly dark. Also, some of the black lines are a bit scratchy, but that’s just because im lazy and haven’t fixed them up yet [smile] Any tips and thoughts would be helpful. Cheers.

You can guess what I think [wink] I wanna get the colour version and update my last journal entry!

Seriously though, I think you should do whatever works best for the comic. You certainly shouldn't tie yourself down to having to colour every single one as you might not always have the time, but I do prefer the coloured version. I also liked the real backdrop in the L'il GameDev comic (so long as it is used sparingly. I don't think you should overuse it).

I really like these comics, I think we must have a very similar sense of humour.

BTW, you should ask if the Hosted Sites page can be updated to include the comics.

[Edited by - pan narrans on August 18, 2004 12:08:17 PM]

@ Pan Narrans: Whoah, I never even knew you did a journal entry on the comic. Thats cool! [smile]. Also, just as you mentioned the thing about the hosted site link, I got a PM from Dave saying that he added it to the list. Maybe their tracking you....[wink]

@ evolutional: Lol, thanks mate!