Sign in to follow this  
one mind

longhorn

Hi, I am mainly a c# programmer and use alot of winforms. I was wondering what will happen when the next version of windows comes out. When developing a windows app for longhorn, do you still use the .net class library, like System.Console ect Or is it completely different. Also, when writing guis, like now is winforms, in longhorn it will be winfx, is it similar or do you have to learn heaps of new stuff and everything i learnt about winforms is wasted. What was the point of winforms? Is winfx, avalon ect a part of the .net class library or is it seperate from .net Getting confused :) Any info would be great Thanks :)

Most if not all the .NET classes you know and love will still be there. Stuff like Avalon will be available in a different namespace ( i.e. Windows.Avalon or whatever ). One big change to the way WinForms are developed is XaML which is a markup language that will be used to control the layout and some functionality of your forms, think along the lines of using XML to place your controls. There are a few videos on msdn.microsoft.com that highlight all these things (MSDNtv, The .NET Show), namely the .NET Show with Don Box is the most technical.