Sign in to follow this  
mckoo

Unreal Engine 3 E3 Demonstration

http://e3.gamespot.com.cn/movie/unreal30demo_e32004_wm.zip if you think doom 3 is stunning, pls take a glance and redefine what is stunning graphics and physics

Quote:
Original post by Cipher3D
too bad it runs even 3-5 fps on high end hardware. I wouldn't call that too stunning.

If software never pushed at the boundaries and limitations of hardware, then there would never be a need to develop and innovate newer faster hardware.

It may well only run at 3-5 fps now, but within two graphics card release cycles you can bet your life that it will be running at at least 60fps purely because of the hardware advancements.

Moreover - is the engine release ready yet? Probably not, so you don't know what tricks they can pull out of the bag to make it run alot smoother.... How do you even know that they weren't running debug code with optimisations turned off? etc etc

Jx

Yes i do think Doom 3 is stunning, and I've already seen the U3 vid, Doom 3 could have been a lot better graphics wise but desicsions were made to make sure it would run on as much hardware as possible. AFAIK U3 will not be out till 06/07 and will offer little support for older cards (or in other words everyone will have to have a pretty top of spec computer to run it).

Yes the U3 demo is stunning, but as others have pointed out, its not due to be released for another few years, go back a few years and look at Doom3, it looked just as stunning compared with other things out at the time.

Right now, I'd say Doom3 is probably the best gfx engine around, HL2's comes close but imo (granted based on the de_dust map) it isnt as good (but its a close run thing)

When it comes out and runs at playable speeds (min 30fps average) it will redefine things, until then its a nice looking tech demo [smile]

I agree with you, but I guess I didn't state my point clearly.

Doom 3 is stunning, because it looks so good on today's hardware. Unreal 3 is stunning, but in a different way, it looks good, but nobody can play it! Doom 3 won't be stunning anymore when Unreal 3 engine can be played at reasonable speeds.

Holy crap that looks freaking awesome. I almost crapped myself looking at some of the effects on there. Just whoah. That's the only way I can describe it. And here I was thinking Doom3 looked really good.

What I'd like to know is what the heck they're running that demo on? If we aren't going to see games using the U3 engine untill 2006/07 what hardware are these tech demos running on?

That video depresses me. Look at it and here I am trying to get some answers on my simple input decoupling/event system thread :(

I can't even imagine the number of hours it must have taken to make just one of those models, or even a map. Surely they took the higher resolution one and triangulated it down, but "then we build the low resolution mesh" worries me.

Quote:
too bad it runs even 3-5 fps on high end hardware. I wouldn't call that too stunning.

Currently it runs at least 15-20 fps on a P4 3Ghz and a NVida 6800GT

Quote:
Original post by cthulhu78
Quote:

Currently it runs at least 15-20 fps on a P4 3Ghz and a NVida 6800GT

The most badass thing is that even with specs like those, I'm amazed it runs at 3-5 fps (and here you're saying 15-20). It looks so amazing it makes me think of rendering a scene in 3dsmax or something and waiting all day for a frame to complete.

Using an SLI setup with dual Geforce 6800s, Epic was able to get something like 25fps.

Based on that, it should perform just as well on mainstream hardware in 2006 as Doom III performs on mainstream hardware right now.

Of course, by 2007, we'll probably have a new engine from iD anyway...

Personally, I'm impressed by a few things:

Graphics:

1.) Normal mapping technique. No, it's not the first time it's been done, but it sure as hell does look impressive here.

2.) The widespread use of bloom filters. The reflections off of things afforded by this are simply stunning.

3.) The shadowing. IMO it makes Doom III's look downright dated.

Overall engine:

1.) Portability. If you believe their website, the engine is ready to go on just about every platform out there. Nice.

2.) UnrealEd in general. If you've played with previous iterations, you know what an incredible editor this thing is, especially UnrealScript.

the engine will render a detailed and high-res mesh and a low-res mesh....so i think it could be rendered in an excellent fps

And in related news, 3D Realms have just announced that Duke Nukem Forever will now being using the UT3 engine, so the title may be experience some slight delays....

*hides*

Quote:
Original post by mckoo
the engine will render a detailed and high-res mesh and a low-res mesh....so i think it could be rendered in an excellent fps

The hi-poly mesh is only used to compute the normal maps. During the rendering only the low-poly geometry is involved.

I especially like the shadows from the lamp where they "use two shadow cube maps, one very crisp, the other blurry and interpolate based on distance from the light". Just looks awesome. Anyone know if they got a patent on that? Or are we free to use it ourselves? BTW anyone know of good resource/listing of patented algorithms, so i can see what i can not/can use in my engine?

Very impressive... The shading is just awesome.

Now, let's hope they make it playable. Unreal 2 was also good looking but the gameplay was not that good.

Quote:
Original post by Etnu
...Of course, by 2007, we'll probably have a new engine from iD anyway...
Seems unlikely. Quake took 4/5 years to make, then Quake 3 a long while later (Q2 seemed just a HW-enabled version of the Quake engine) and DoomIII again is pushing 5 years I believe. So maybe 2009 for Doom/Quake 4? Do they make all their money licensing the engine and use the game as a very elaborate selling tool for it or something?!

Quote:
Original post by d000hgDo they make all their money licensing the engine and use the game as a very elaborate selling tool for it or something?!

Epic said that while licensing does make them a lot of money, a successful game like Unreal makes a lot more, and they use licensing as an alternative money source that keeps them from being too reliant on publisher deals, etc.

Quote:
Original post by d000hg
Quote:
Original post by Etnu
...Of course, by 2007, we'll probably have a new engine from iD anyway...
Seems unlikely. Quake took 4/5 years to make, then Quake 3 a long while later (Q2 seemed just a HW-enabled version of the Quake engine) and DoomIII again is pushing 5 years I believe. So maybe 2009 for Doom/Quake 4? Do they make all their money licensing the engine and use the game as a very elaborate selling tool for it or something?!

Erm I dont know how you arrived at your figures, but im sure it was only a couple year developemnt for all the Quake series. Quake 1 was released 96 AFAIK and so even if they started right after doom 1, it would give it a max 3 year dev time. Quake 2 was 98 so theres a 2 year dev time and Quake 3 was 99/00 so theres just another 2 year dev time.

Doom3 is the first time iD have went into the 4 year dev time AFAIK. Quake 4 will be well out before 2009 and a few times I've see that CArmack is said that there next game is going to be a much short dev time then D3 putting it about 06/07.

They make alot of money from engine licensing (IIRC $500,000 per Quake 3 license) but whether that is where most of their money comes from I dont know.