Unreal Engine 3 E3 Demonstration

Started by
29 comments, last by weddo 19 years, 8 months ago
http://e3.gamespot.com.cn/movie/unreal30demo_e32004_wm.zip if you think doom 3 is stunning, pls take a glance and redefine what is stunning graphics and physics
Advertisement
linkified
too bad it runs even 3-5 fps on high end hardware. I wouldn't call that too stunning.
I eat heart attacks
It keeps telling me that the zip file is an invalid archive. I can't freaking get the file. ARGH.
Quote:Original post by Cipher3D
too bad it runs even 3-5 fps on high end hardware. I wouldn't call that too stunning.

If software never pushed at the boundaries and limitations of hardware, then there would never be a need to develop and innovate newer faster hardware.

It may well only run at 3-5 fps now, but within two graphics card release cycles you can bet your life that it will be running at at least 60fps purely because of the hardware advancements.

Moreover - is the engine release ready yet? Probably not, so you don't know what tricks they can pull out of the bag to make it run alot smoother.... How do you even know that they weren't running debug code with optimisations turned off? etc etc

Jx
Yes i do think Doom 3 is stunning, and I've already seen the U3 vid, Doom 3 could have been a lot better graphics wise but desicsions were made to make sure it would run on as much hardware as possible. AFAIK U3 will not be out till 06/07 and will offer little support for older cards (or in other words everyone will have to have a pretty top of spec computer to run it).
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Yes the U3 demo is stunning, but as others have pointed out, its not due to be released for another few years, go back a few years and look at Doom3, it looked just as stunning compared with other things out at the time.

Right now, I'd say Doom3 is probably the best gfx engine around, HL2's comes close but imo (granted based on the de_dust map) it isnt as good (but its a close run thing)

When it comes out and runs at playable speeds (min 30fps average) it will redefine things, until then its a nice looking tech demo [smile]
I agree with you, but I guess I didn't state my point clearly.

Doom 3 is stunning, because it looks so good on today's hardware. Unreal 3 is stunning, but in a different way, it looks good, but nobody can play it! Doom 3 won't be stunning anymore when Unreal 3 engine can be played at reasonable speeds.

I eat heart attacks
Holy crap that looks freaking awesome. I almost crapped myself looking at some of the effects on there. Just whoah. That's the only way I can describe it. And here I was thinking Doom3 looked really good.
What I'd like to know is what the heck they're running that demo on? If we aren't going to see games using the U3 engine untill 2006/07 what hardware are these tech demos running on?

That video depresses me. Look at it and here I am trying to get some answers on my simple input decoupling/event system thread :(
[email=algorhythmic@transcendenz.co.uk]algorhythmic[/email] | home | xltronic | whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you do it - mahatma gandhi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement