Linux 2.6+nvidia drivers issue

Started by
5 comments, last by Cipher3D 19 years, 8 months ago
I am runnint linux kernel 2.6 (slackware 10) on my computer and am having trouble with the latest linux drivers...When I install them, everyhing works ok until it is time to switch to a virtual console, or kill X. When I do this, the computer puts large dots of a few different colors on the screen and no text is there (the dots are obviously the text, but it is badly distorted...). It look like the video memory were somehow corrupted...Anyway, has anyone experianced this? Is there any solution? My brother can get his nvidia drivers working fine under the same kernel...
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
Advertisement
Most likely the 4k stack's issue, in your kernel config :

goto /usr/src/linux

do make menuconfig

then go

kernel hacking --> Use 4Kb stacks instead of 8Kb stacks

and turn it off

The latest nvidia drivers also should have support for this feature (I not sure here), but if you havn't allready tried the latest drivers go try them.
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Hahahha...Thanks, but it seems I was wrong...I am running 2.4.26 [sad] and that feature is not avaliable in this version...What else could it be? I know I have gotten 2.4.26 running with nvidia drivers...
----------------------------------------------------"Plant a tree. Remove a Bush" -A bumper sticker I saw.
I had a problem similar to this a while back. It was caused by the console frame buffer using the wrong driver.

If you have the frame buffer enabled in the kernel, try disabling it or switching to the VESA driver.

You never know, it might work
The solution to your problem is:

go to root (by su or sudo)

open up your /etc/lilo.conf by

#gedit /etc/lilo.conf, or

#pico /etc/lilo.conf

What ever suits you,

Then change the line that says:

vga=773 (or what have you)

to

vga=normal

exit, go to console (make sure you're in root again)

type /sbin/lilo

That should update your lilo

Restart your computer, and you're set to go.

Cheers,
Cipher3D
I eat heart attacks
Last time I tried it the NVidia drivers seem to assume the console is running in normal VGA mode, and switch to that instead of whatever VESA mode you might really be running, thus buggering everything up.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
is it just me....or do ATI and NVIDIA (ATI especially) like to put Linux drivers on the back burner...*shakes head*...then again, can't blame 'em...
I eat heart attacks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement